Sunday

In the Air

So far 2011 has been a decided improvement from 2010. Of course, I realize that my view of things is a little hazy thanks to the extremely crappy circumstances of our past pregnancy. I know the whole entire year wasn't an entire bust. It just feels like it was sometimes. It was the major event that started our year and quite effectively sucked away a lot of our emotional energy and good cheer. It was hard to focus on much of anything else most of the time. I'm happy to be where we are today and it feels good to know we made it through. What a difference a year makes!

Some recent good news has come our way. Both Hubbs and I have been working really hard at our respective jobs and trying to do our best every day. Hubbs has been consistently meeting and exceeding his sales goals for the last couple of years and I have been pouring hours of time and effort in to elevating my job responsibilities beyond the title on my business card. Finally it has paid off for both of us. We have both been recently promoted!

Hubbs has stepped up in to the next level of sales for what he does and will be handling larger accounts across the US. The new job will start tomorrow and, although he is nervous about something new, I know he'll do great. I'm very proud of him for reaching out to take advantage of an opportunity like this and I hope it works out for him.

As for me, I get to take the next small step on my way up the ladder. Initially my boss had intended to create a new position within our department to better quantify what I do for him and the management track I am on. Unfortunately, the corporate structure is sometimes rigid and the red tape thick. It is going to take a while longer to create the position and get all the powers that be to sign off on things. At any rate, March is promotion season so they've agreed to promote me to a higher level now while the title is in the making. It will increase my salary and authority level in our department and qualify me for the (usually generous) annual bonus. After the new position has officially been created, I'll make a lateral move to the new title.

To be honest, I don't really give a shit what title my business card shows. It doesn't define or confine me...all momma cares about is those bi-monthly deposits. ;) Make that right, and you can keep the labels, business cards, and name plates for all I care. And really, I'm just happy to have a steady, secure job. Sure, the commute blows...but I can deal with that part.

Jobs aside, things are going well elsewhere too. Lil Man may finally have a report card that doesn't cause him to be grounded or cause me to have red flashes of anger in my eyes. Hopefully we'll know for sure in the next week when grades are completely updated by the teachers. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to lay the hammer again. I don't like doing it, but I will if I have to.

The baby is growing, as is momma, and things are on schedule so far. We had what I think might be our last appointment with the specialist a few weeks ago. He looked at all the internal organs and said he was really happy with what he saw. Test results are coming back with good numbers. We're inching our way to the finish line. :) We've started gathering up some hand-me-down baby stuff from really generous friends and our latest efforts are getting the baby's room/office put together. We're trying to come up with a few baby name options and pretty soon I'll have my first baby shower.This week starts the last trimester so we're on our way!

Good things are in the air. I'm just going to do my best to soak it up and be thankful. It could all be gone tomorrow and I don't want to take it for granted.

4 comments:

Trisha said...

Congrats to you and R on your promotions. Obviously very well deserved!! Big hugs to you and the yet-to-be-named Peanut, and the rest of your family.

Jen said...

So happy for you, my dear! Congrats on the promotion and so happy to hear baby and lil' man are doing well!

Winnie said...

YAY! So happy to hear about your promotions and lil man getting his act together!

wan said...

i am with you on that hammer, dude. report cards...they ain't pretty.

so awesome to see you yesterday! you look gorgeous and happy, and it was wonderful. congrats to both of you on your promotions!