As I'm typing I realize that I feel guarded. More so than usual. I can only speculate that it is probably related to being involved in something so much bigger than myself. I learned a lot about my Auntie, her life, family I've never met--probably too much about them--, and what people are capable of. Both good and bad. I am happy that I went and I am happy to be home.
My Aunt is healing well from the surgery and still seems to remain in good spirits. The surgery went well and I drove her home from the surgery center early the next evening to begin her at home care. From there the schedule looked something like this for us:
11:00 p.m.--Prepare for bed. Give her pain pills and muscle relaxers. Had to be taken with small snack. Empty out all 6 drains, measure the fluid, and document the totals for the day.
5:00 a.m.--Antibiotic and pain medication.
7:00 a.m.--Muscle relaxers. Empty all drains again & document. Give all the morning medications and vitamins normally taken before the surgery. Call in the previous day's total output from drains to the plastic surgeon's office.
11:00 a.m.--Antibiotic and pain meds.
3:00 p.m.--Empty drains & document. Muscle relaxers.
5:00 p.m.--Antibiotics and pain meds.
11:00 p.m.--Back to the night time routine.
I was dead tired the first couple of days. Even though I didn't have to really do anything in the hospital during the surgery, I was tired from the stress of it all. I spent the night in a reclining chair and a very thin blanket that evening after the surgery. Then we got up in the morning to doctor visits and an unexpected trip back to surgery to clear out some dried blood that was blocking the drains already in place. All that added up with keeping the schedule made for a very tired R. Thankfully things got a little easier as time went on.
Here are some pictures I took before and after the surgery. My Auntie wanted to have some documentation of the day to look back on. I was glad she didn't mind that I took pictures.
This is her the day I arrived and the day before the surgery.
Surgery day. Two of her friends that came to the hospital to wait with me during the surgery. Of course they were there for my Auntie and not me, but it was nice to have some company even if I'd never met them before.
The day after the main surgery on our way home.
This is her first week alone since the procedures and I'm a little worried that she'll fall into a depression. Having both of your breasts removed can be psychologically damaging if you let it be. Unfortunately my Aunt battles with depression so it is more of a likelihood for her. Fortunately she is keeping in touch with me and my Dad so it looks like she is handling things well so far.
I still have yet to unpack my suitcase from the trip completely. I know...slacker, lame...add it to my list of a hundred things I need to do. I will hopefully catch up on a few more things in the next couple days and get some regular blogging in. I miss my outlet.
12 comments:
I miss you! One of my simple pleasures in life is getting 12 comments in a row from you. ;)
Auntie looks good! Yay!
You are such an amazing niece! You have a heart of gold, and I know your auntie appreciates everything you've done for her.
Now, get some rest! I am exhausted just reading this post!
it takes me forever to unpack from being anywhere.
i have to reiterate again how wonderful you are for doing that for your auntie. seriously.
i wish her a speedy and total recovery.
just be you in your blog. that's why we come here!
when my dad got sick with cancer, something changed in me, too. if you ever want to talk, i'm here.
You know, it was only a month or so ago that you felt like you weren't accomplishing everything you thought you would be - and once again you come through as one of the best people I know. Your dedication, kindness, and support for your Aunt really makes you stand out. Your Aunt is so lucky to have you. And if things don't work out, it sounds like you have quite the career in nursing ahead of you.
your auntie is so cute and you really are an amazing niece.
That was a really beautiful thing you did for your aunt. Seriously... most people would never even volunteer. You really put yourself out there for her, and that makes you a true gem!
I can totally imagine it's hard to get back to normal life after going through something like that. But you'll get there - one day at a time :)
You're a good person.
I'm glad to see that your aunt is doing better.
i think it's really difficult to come back from something like that and not feel a bit "off." that is a lot you had to deal with and i'm sure it definitely took its toll on you.
your auntie is so cute! you can definitely tell you guys are related :) i'm glad she is doing well and will keep her in my prayers that her recovery continues to go very very smoothly.
your aunt's smile lights up the whole world. and then you add your smile and sunglasses just won't do!
you already know how wonderful i think you are, and how much i love you. this is why i'm just not surprised by your generosity, dedication, and caring anymore. it's just...you.
You are a beautiful girl R, you really are. Even with all that is going on in your life and a child and hubby to take care of, you still make time to miss your friends and go out of your way to be there for your aunt. I love her smile, I don't need to know her to know that her spirit is strong and having you there with her for this time made her stronger because of your love. I miss you too but you come first. Glad to hear you are ok my friend! xoxo
you and your auntie are beautiful. glad you're back!
i have turned to your style of commenting lately, too.
What a wonderful niece you are.
My prayers go out for your Aunt's complete recovery.
Post a Comment