Here is the fountain outside of the entrance. It was a really beautiful, clear day outside.
There's a wall with a metal replica of each president's signature. I don't know why, but I thought it was pretty cool. They don't allow flash photography inside the library so please forgive the crappy quality. Wonder what my signature would look like up there...
My husband has a love for Canada that I can't explain. I took this one for him. Hockey Santa makes me laugh.
Loved the origami bird in the ornament in this tree for Japan.
Lil Man's favorite part was Air Force One. They have an actual retired plane from the Air Force One fleet that President Reagan flew on. We got to walk through it and see a bunch of cool facts about the plane. Kind of made me wish I was a pilot. Little kid dreams. :)
A piece of the Berlin Wall. I remember when this happened. Pretty amazing.
The view beyond the wall. Really, really pretty.
President Reagan's final resting place. Simple. I like it.
There are other things inside the museum like a to-scale replica of the oval office during his presidency and video clips of different events. There were also letters he'd written to Nancy while they were together over the years as well as their marriage license. So much history and personal tid bits throughout.
I thought it was really sweet how much Ronald and Nancy seemed to love each other. This is a great picture found on the front cover of the brochure you receive when you arrive. It makes them more real to me for some reason. Shows me that they were still in love. Maybe that's my romantic side speaking. Yeah, I have one.
We ended the day with dinner at our local Sushi place which was really good. It was a great Saturday where we all had a better time than we expected at the library. Can't believe I've lived in SoCal all my life and had never been there before.
8 comments:
very cool!
we've been wanting to go to the reagan library for ages, but somehow we never make it. the one time we did go, it was super crowded as it was just after he passed away. you've inspired me to schedule a date for us to try again!
I've never been either! But, truth be told, it's probably the "Reagan" part.
Ditto the Nixon Library.
Love the Christmas trees!
I always thought they seemed like real people too. And they always seemed to really love each other.
I'm happy you had a nice time :)
I <3 x'mas trees. Adding this place to my list for when I move back here :)
that seems really cool. i agree, they always seemed like a real couple to me, one that was very much in love.
the airforce one plane is awesome! i have a friend from college who flies commercial jets with southwest and it just blows my mind that it's her career! craziness :)
dahahaha. love the hockey santa and the pic of the former prez in a santa suit.
Regardless of politics, I think the letters between Ronald and Nancy, especially the one as he slipped into Alzheimer's, are some of the most moving things I've ever read. Their love is inspiring... Also, I'm a huge Reagan fan and grew up in Ventura County, so I love that place!
Post a Comment