Thursday

Make Lemonade

Last night as I got home Hubbs let me know that we had to get up early the next day to get ready. We had a note on our door that informed us the electricity would be shut off from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Somehow the "we apologize for the inconvenience" closing statement didn't really mean much to me.

So what to do when life throws lemons? Make lemonade, right? I figured since we needed to be up and out of the house earlier than usual Lil' Man and I could take advantage of the situation. Lil' Man doesn't start school until close to 9:00 so we had some time to kill. I decided to surprise him with going to breakfast at IHOP before school. The idea was a hit! I don't think I've ever seen him run that fast to get ready in the morning. He really likes going to breakfast (just like his momma!) and he was excited.

Breakfast was cool. It wasn't anywhere fancy or a big production, but it was a nice time with my kid. It was sweet and simple-french toast for him, eggs and bacon for me. We talked about all kinds of topics. Things like school, projects he was proud of, his struggles in math, finally being off grounding tomorrow, the In Laws' visit this weekend, Christmas, his excitement over possibly being able to participate in the school's daily news broadcast, and the girl he likes at his after school care.

We also talked about which characters we'd be in some of our mutual favorite movies. He always asks random questions of us regarding movies. "What is your favorite of all the POC movies?" and "What do you think would have made XYZ movie better?"...stuff like that. He would be Bumblebee from Transformers and Will Turner from Pirates. I would be any of the Autobots (thanks Monkey! had a brain fart), but would prefer to be Optimus Prime. And as for Pirates, I'm in. Don't care which one, although the monkey was pretty funny. I can't begin to tell you how nice this breakfast was for me. Some one on one with my son in a time of peace.

Probably the best lemonade I've ever had. ;)

9 comments:

dapotato said...

aawwwww! cool mom award.

weezermonkey said...

Psst! Autobots! They are the good guys. Decepticons are the bad guys. ;)

You are such a good mom!

Stephanie H said...

I'd definately agree with you. That is so awesome that you got to spend that time with him and it probably meant the world to him as well.

amber said...

ah, what a fun morning! it sounds like he enjoyed it just as much as you did. and in light of recent crazy kid behavior, i'm sure this was a welcome change :)

Winnie said...

Awwww :) This totally warms my heart.

Julie Q said...

i can't stand it when my internet doesn't work for 1 minute- so yeah, i'd probably spaz out if i didn't have power (really just the cable and internet part of it though!!)

oh- and blogger comment notification seems to be working again (i cracked up at your comment about that!)

Nanette said...

Very sweet of you! Some of my best moments with my mom were when she let me play hooky from first period in high school to go have breakfast with her. Warped parenting, I know. ;)

willikat said...

what a cool time you got to spend with the boy. it's good to write things down like that so you never forget.

wan said...

aw, dude. there's nothing like unexpected alone time with the kid, eh?