What's this? What kind of assembly are we having? Weird. That's about all my carefree mind could muster up at that point. I was a tomboy and fleetingly thought I'd probably rather go do what the boys were doing because I didn't want to stick around for stupid girly stuff. Oh well. I'd regroup with my pals later and they'd fill me in. Hopefully I didn't miss anything cool. Finally the group was divided and our attention was directed towards the front where our Principal and school nurse were standing. The welcome spiel was given, introductions, and then it started. The discussion about our changing bodies and what to expect during the stages of puberty.
*record screeching* WTF? Did she just say menstruation? Aw man! I don't want
to sit here for this! The discussion was followed by a video complete with diagrams and other stuff I was not interested in seeing or hearing about. I knew some of it, and the rest of it just seemed sorta wrong to my 11 year old mind. Vaguely horrifying but mostly informational and definitely boring. I remained still and didn't utter a word for fear that I might be called on to answer something or draw the attention of entire group assembled. When it was all over they began to pass out small, individual gable boxes.
to sit here for this! The discussion was followed by a video complete with diagrams and other stuff I was not interested in seeing or hearing about. I knew some of it, and the rest of it just seemed sorta wrong to my 11 year old mind. Vaguely horrifying but mostly informational and definitely boring. I remained still and didn't utter a word for fear that I might be called on to answer something or draw the attention of entire group assembled. When it was all over they began to pass out small, individual gable boxes. What is this for? I got my box and decided to open it. I
was instantly regretting that choice. The outside of the box was decorated in girly colors, mini flowers, and had the words "Kotex" displayed on the side. Inside was a gigantic Kotex pad (with wings), panty liner, and something else that I can't recall at the moment. There was also some brochure or something that was supposed to be informational. What the hell am I supposed to do with this all day? OMG. I've gotta ditch this before I meet up with my friends. I can't have them see me with this in my hands. Granted I had a couple of female friends too, but I knew they just went through what I did and they'd be cool about it.
was instantly regretting that choice. The outside of the box was decorated in girly colors, mini flowers, and had the words "Kotex" displayed on the side. Inside was a gigantic Kotex pad (with wings), panty liner, and something else that I can't recall at the moment. There was also some brochure or something that was supposed to be informational. What the hell am I supposed to do with this all day? OMG. I've gotta ditch this before I meet up with my friends. I can't have them see me with this in my hands. Granted I had a couple of female friends too, but I knew they just went through what I did and they'd be cool about it. As soon as we were dismissed from that assembly I sprinted to my backpack and shoved the contents inside. Out of sight, out of mind. I headed back out to the play ground and hoped my pals would not ask me about the assembly. How would I explain what just happened? When we met up at our usual spot there was some weirdness for a minute, but nobody asked any questions. They didn't ask me and I didn't ask them. We went off to play some kick ball and that was that. Looking back I'm sure the boys were just as embarrassed and uncomfortable with the situation as I had been. It was better to just not talk about it.
Well, guess who's kid is in the 6th grade? Guess who's kid is going to The Assembly today. Yup. Yours truly. Cross your fingers for me, and Lil' Man, today and hope it's only slightly horrifying for him. ;)
10 comments:
that just brought back those horrifying memories. accck! I got always which actually came in handy.
Cross my fingers that Lil Man won't be as horrified as we were when we were kids.
Thank goodness somebody's gonna explain it and it ain't gonna be me.
good luck to you and li'l man. we had a whole series (6 weeks long) on "the talk" with much of it being focused on abstinence...yeesh. that's what i get for being sent to a baptist school, i guess.
I barely remember the sex ed class but I do remember the mother daughter tea where we talked about getting our periods. My poor mom was like a fish out of water with the other moms; it was pure torture.
*Fingers crossed for Lil man*
Do girls start their periods later in California? We had our first "separated sex ed" class in 4th grade - by 6th grade 2/3 of the class had already started. We watched a video with Little Orphan Annie telling us how the girls on Broadway tried not to get to tall or they'd be fired. In 6th grade both boys and girls had separated sex end- but at this point it was about actual intercourse/blow jobs/etc. and not the reproductive cycle.
i remember mine vividly - it was in the 5th grade. there were two classes, and one male and one female teacher, so they split up accordingly. my 5th grade teacher was my all-time favorite, though, and she made it fun and not embarrassing.
good luck to li'l man. the kid went through that last year too, although she and i had already discussed it all way before that.
I never had "the talk." I kinda wish I did . . . but not really.
Good luck, lil man!
Ahhh! Poor lil' man!
All I remember from sex ed is the boys coming back, horrified that the vice principal told them, "Just keep it in your pants!"
ah, the joys of growing up ;)
good luck to you lil man and to you fielding any questions you may get asked :)
So did you get any good questions when you got home?
=D
Post a Comment