Today was a fun day. I went to one of Lil Man's 6th grade field trips. It wasn't a big deal event but it was fun. 150 6th graders piled onto school buses and descended on a local restaurant for lunch. Have you ever seen 150 eleven and twelve year olds all in one place? Well, if you're a teacher you have. I'm not a teacher so this was something to me. I'll give you a glimpse. Keep in mind this is a silent picture...the kids at lunch--not so much.

Do you remember Fraggle Rock? I freakin' loved that show. For a minute I was 10 years old again dancing in my living when my fuzzy headed pals came on the screen. I almost scooped up Red, Wembly, and Gobo right there in the store. The problem is I don't really have any place to keep them and Lil Man doesn't even know what Fraggle Rock is. Oh man, but it was fun to be a kid again. Even if it was only for a brief moment.
Today was a day that reminded me how much fun being a kid was. Even though the 6th graders were loud and imposing in their group size, I kind of dug being around that energy. The day also made me realize that as an adult and parent, being with kids makes me feel young. That's part of what I love about being a mom or an auntie and having kids in my life, you get to be a kid again yourself and relive the energy and excitement of things through their eyes. Pretty cool if you ask me. Pretty cool indeed.
Of course I spotted my rug rat with no problem. Don't worry, I didn't hang out and embarrass him.
He was seated at a table with a few other kids. He didn't really know them so by the end of lunch he was asking if he could sit with me instead. Poor Lil Man...this means he must have been bored out of his mind. Hopefully the next field trip will be less boring.
Once lunch was finished the kids were corraled back outside to line up with their classes. Then they were herded back to the buses and back to school. I had a chance to talk to him outside for a few minutes before I went to work. One of his friends came up and introduced himself to me during that time. I was a little bit impressed...he shook my hand and everything. We had time for one more picture before we parted ways.
Later in the day I had a meeting to get to. I arrived about 45 minutes early thanks to no traffic so I had time to stop by a toy store and pick up a birthday gift for Hubbs' cousins, two of Uncle Kevin's kids. While I was in there I came upon a toy that brought back happy memories of when I was a kid myself. I even started singing the song in my head when I looked at it...Do you remember Fraggle Rock? I freakin' loved that show. For a minute I was 10 years old again dancing in my living when my fuzzy headed pals came on the screen. I almost scooped up Red, Wembly, and Gobo right there in the store. The problem is I don't really have any place to keep them and Lil Man doesn't even know what Fraggle Rock is. Oh man, but it was fun to be a kid again. Even if it was only for a brief moment.
Today was a day that reminded me how much fun being a kid was. Even though the 6th graders were loud and imposing in their group size, I kind of dug being around that energy. The day also made me realize that as an adult and parent, being with kids makes me feel young. That's part of what I love about being a mom or an auntie and having kids in my life, you get to be a kid again yourself and relive the energy and excitement of things through their eyes. Pretty cool if you ask me. Pretty cool indeed.
10 comments:
such a fun day! when i volunteer at camp and all the kids are eating, it's completely loud, but so full of energy and just plain fun! it totally takes you back to being a kid. :)
1) They're coming out with a Fraggle Rock movie!!!!!!!! I think its coming out next year
2) I still have a Fraggle Rock CD...I love listening to it, it makes me happy.
i'm loving the kid that introduced himself to you. just when you think no one's teaching kids manners these days...
Ditto Wan.
I can't stand the noise level of kids . . . I guess I'll never become a teacher. I agree with you though that hanging out with my nieces allow me to become a kid again, except I now have the disposable income to buy all the toys I want. Ha!
Being around kids is really awesome. Glad you had a great day!
my mom did say having kids later in life ended up keeping her young longer rather than the other way around, and i must agree she's a lot livelier and younger-seeming than many of her friends who have grandchildren by now.
perhaps you all will change my mind one day, and/or my biological clock will start ticking louder. ;)
I love Fraggle Rock! The girl fraggle with the pom pom hair always reminded me of myself. ;)
And I think it's awesome you were a chaperone. I totally want to do that when it comes time.
And, just so you know, your Li'l Man is quite polite himself. He shook my hand when I met him, too. ;)
I think you need to buy lil man a fraggle rock dvd;) I, too, used to love that show!
omg fraggle rock was the sh!t except i always used to get a little freaked out when the big monsters showed on on screen
Post a Comment