I'm going to interrupt the vacation recap to talk about my little friend in the hospital. We'll call her Spunky P. P for Princesses and Pink--two of her very favorite things. She is my friend's daughter (the one who we recently threw a party for) and she was recently diagnosed with leukemia. She's four years old.
I went to visit her in the hospital yesterday and it was both heart warming and heart breaking at the same time. She's only 4. It isn't fair that she has to deal with the fact that all her hair will fall out soon from the heavy doses of chemo she's undergoing. It isn't fair that she has to have her IV bags wheeled behind her to keep the tubes attached so she can go to the bathroom. It isn't fair that her little brother and Mom are being tested for bone marrow matches and that she has to have blood transfusions. It isn't fair that she has a 50% success rate of surviving this more rare form of the disease.
She should be at home playing with her dolls instead of in the hospital. She should be swimming with her friends in the pool or running on the beach. She should be getting excited for her birthday party in August. She should be able to eat ice cream with sprinkles until she gets tired of it and moves on to cake. She should be enjoying her time with Mom at home instead of having her sleep in the reclining chair near her bedside.
Spunky P was in good spirits yesterday. She was rolling out brightly colored Playdough on the tray table in front of her when I arrived in her room. She was herself by most accounts but noticeably subdued in the energy department. She thanked me for the gifts I'd brought and rolled her eyes when her Mom told her to do something. At one point she even broke out in a little dance while she stood by her bed waiting to be lifted up into it. She wore the little mask on her face when we did the lap around the Pediatrics floor just like she was supposed to. She enjoyed putting on her play make-up and glitter while Mom and I watched. She even took a couple of pictures with me before I left.
She really is a great little girl. I'm sure everyone who knows a little one battling cancer says that. Spunky P is no different. She's a fighter and I'm hoping that she'll fight her way back home as soon as possible. I hope you'll hope along with me.


11 comments:
Oh my goodness. How heartbreaking. She has the sweetest, most angelic little face ever.
My heart truly goes out to this sweet girl and her family. I pray that she ends up on the positive side of those statistics.
Ugh, life just isn't fair sometimes.
so unfair. so sad. hoping along right with you.
very heartbreaking...please keep us posted with her progress.
Cancer sucks. Period. But when a little one is affected by it, my heart seriously breaks. This is why I am such a giant fan of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. These kids should be out doing all the things little kids love to do and it's totally terrible that she can't. Dito to Cali Girl's prayer...Your friend is very fortunate to have your love and support though this terrible process. Sending blogger hugs!
i'll be honest - i couldn't read this post word for word, because i just couldn't take it. i'm a wuss, i know, and just seeing that precious little face gets me all choked up.
you know my thoughts and prayers are with her and her whole family. definitely keep us posted, please.
Adding my thoughts and prayers. No child should ever have to go through this. And no parent should have to watch their child go through this.
See this post alone makes the possible job change seem more worth it.
(go read the latest post)
What a cute kid... My heart and prayers go out to her.
Echoing all the comments above. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
So, so, so unfair!
:(
How heartbreaking. Life is so unfair :(
cancer sucks. plain and simple.
you know the family is in my thoughts and prayers. {{hugs}}
Post a Comment