Monday

Weekend part 1

It's been a long weekend. A long, glorious, office free weekend. Seriously I could get used to schedules like this where I don't have to go to an office. Ever. Or maybe even just four day weekends would be good to put on the schedule regularly. I wish our presidential candidates would start talking about that topic and get something going on there. Hey, a girl can dream right?

You may have noticed that I said "four day weekend" and not three. That is because I didn't go to the office on Friday last week. Instead I attended a good friend's college graduation and celebrated afterward with tacos, pasteles (meat filled pastries surrounded with flaky dough), drinks, and friends. Even though I did wake up when it was still dark outside in order to get to the freakin' Home Depot Center in morning rush hour traffic it was a good, albeit long and cold, day. Why in the hell would they start a graduation at 8:00 a.m. on a Friday?? For shit's sake people, that's just not cool.

Saturday was another day for celebration. A friend that I met during the college years had decided to get married rather quickly and quietly through the court this past December. She had a sort of surprise party to announce the news around that time but it was very last minute and most of the friends in our group couldn't attend.

A friend and I decided to throw a party in their honor so we could all celebrate the newlyweds together. It was set up at their house and complete with a picture frame with a signing mat, a mini advice/well wishes book, favors, and of course food and drink. On the menu we had turkey, honey baked ham, roasted tri tip, twice baked mashed potatoes, green salad, broccoli salad, dinner rolls, champagne for the toast, and cupcakes for dessert. I made the cupcakes and mini cake for them to cut. It was my first two layer cake--yellow cake with chocolate pudding center and cream cheese frosting. Yay! :)

A picture of me, the newlywed, and my cohort. ;)

We had a fun night and were definitely ready for bed after the long drive home. They live a little over an hour away from us without traffic. Thankfully there was not traffic. I was so ready for my bed when we finally settled in around 2 a.m. I was extra thankful to Hubbs for helping with the set up and tear down of all the tables, chairs, centerpieces, and the rest of my crap for the party. He's a keeper. :)

OK, that's it for now. We did more stuff over the weekend but I'll break that up into a second post. I don't want everyone to fall asleep on me. I hope everyone had a lovely weekend themselves!

11 comments:

dapotato said...

yay for 2 layer cake! yeesh...8 AM on a friday...off the 405? really? boo to that school. anyway, glad you had a nice long weekend of celebrating.

That Girl said...

I think it is so sweet what you did for your friends! I'm sure they appreciated it more than you'd guess.

weezermonkey said...

Cute party!

wan said...

you really are such a wonderful friend. i love how, when you decide to do something, you go all the way and put 110% into it! i agree, your friends are sure to appreciate your efforts more than you know.

amber said...

that menu is making me drool! you did a great job with your first two-layer cake, too. so cute!

8am on a friday is completely insane. you're a good friend for going out there to celebrate :)

California Girl said...

Echoing all the others, you are a great friend. So nice of you to go all the effort to plan that party for your friend.

And Home Depot Center at 8am on Friday? Major props, woman ;)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful friend!

Winnie said...

You are such a great friend. It's so sweet of you to throw the party for your friends!

Kay said...

nice job on the cake, looks yummy and decor looks very thought out, colors are great

Mrs. Case said...

My husband graduated on Friday and it was seriously so.friggin.long. The fact that you even attended a graduation for someone other than you spouse/child/sibling says that you must be a good friend! People were dropping like flies after their loved one's name was called. Ha!

Jen said...

Looks like a blast! The cake looks fab!