I'm not sure how I feel about 2008 so far. There have been some great things experienced this year, but as of now I think the bad things are outweighing them. At least that's how I feel as of late. It is only the end of May so I'll let the rest of the year play out before I make my a decision.
We got a call that informed us that Hubbs' Grandpa has prostate cancer. He's starting radiation therapy to treat it. We don't know the severity or many details so that's it. Just a call. He just turned 80 years old and has other health problems so I'm hoping he's strong enough to get through all this. Interestingly enough, he doesn't seem to be worried about it at all. Then again, if I was 80 I don't know that I'd give too much thought to it either.
We are going to be visiting them while on the East Coast for the wedding so I guess it's good timing for that. Who knows how soon we'd have been able to get out there otherwise.
I didn't want to be a downer, but to not mention this stuff that is going on makes me feel like I'm trying to ignore it. I don't want to act like it isn't important or not happening.
Update on the others...
Uncle Kevin is doing well with the treatment and he's recently been accepted into a clinical trial that's in it's 3rd stage. I'm told that's a good thing. We don't have much other information as of now. The kids are dealing with it in their own way according to his wife. Uncle Kevin just celebrated his 50th birthday a couple weeks ago.
My Auntie is finishing up her first round of chemo. She starts the second, more potent dose in a few weeks. The tumor seems to be shrinking so that is a good thing. We've talked a couple times on the phone and she's getting better about e-mailing. She's in good spirits and that's the most important to me right now. I sent her some pictures of the family to keep her company since we can't be there in person.
It's a little strange...life is moving on but every once in a while I get really quiet and think about them, life, and how surreal it all feels. It'll probably become more tangible when we see them all in person. I'm hoping I can be strong and not cry in front of them. I don't really cry much, but who knows what this will do. In the mean time I'll be grateful for the smiles and the phone calls of random things. I'll cherish the little annoyances of life because it's better than not having them there at all. I'll laugh because I can and life will continue to move on.
10 comments:
HUGS!!!
that is all.
Geez, when it rains it pours. Hugs, friend.
This is going to sound incredibly hokey, but the longer I know you, the more amazing you are.
I'm so sorry you are going through such difficult things. It is not easy having one family member going through serious health issues, let alone multiple.
You are in my thoughts and you attitude is remarkable. Hang in there.
[hugs]
Hang in there and I hope you have a better 2nd half of the year.
So there's this theory that everything comes in threes....this is #3 for you which means you're done for the year. No more bad, only good!!!!!
And FWIW, my prostate cancer case right now? It was detected when it was pretty far progressed, and all the experts still think the guy's bound to die of something else other than cancer ;-)
oh man. i'm so sorry, R. you know my thoughts are with you and both of your families.
my ex-boss found out that he had prostate cancer when he was in his 70s, and it was a really high level. he changed his whole lifestyle, stayed positive, and cherished the love and support he received from everyone, and he beat it! that man is amazing, and still going strong.
you are sooo overdue for some good and happy stuff in your life. seriously.
you are in my thoughts. {{hugs}}
Gosh, R, sorry all this is happening to your family. I will keep them and you in my prayers.
Sorry to hear about Grandpa, but glad to hear about Uncle K's progress with the treatment and birthday! Good luck to Auntie with the aggressive treatment coming up, she will be so grateful to continue to get those emails and phone calls from you especially in the next few weeks/months. Here's to having a smooth rest of 2008, I'm rooting for you and so are all of your friends PB. xoxo
Post a Comment