Monday

Take it off

I've been thinking about this for a long time. It's a difficult task to make your blog personal without making yourself entirely accessible to e-stalkers and crazies. I know that as far as stalk worthy personalities go I am way, waay, waaaaay down the list, but when it comes to the fruit of your loins there are no precautions too great. This leads to paranoia and a bit of over-cautious behavior which leads to blocking off a part of your life that is important and often times central. That's not really what I want my blog to be about.

The question of whether or not to share pictures of my Lil Man, as well as other little family members, has plagued me for a while. At first I decided to block the eyes of anyone under the age of 18. Why 18? Seemed logical at the time...legal age and all. That has proven, at least in my opinion, to diminish the personal aspect of my blog. The bars and other creative mug blockers provide a sense of security, but they also put up a wall. Let's not forget that it diminishes the level of cute these pictures actually display. ;)

I've been a reader and a fan of several other blogs that have successfully provided a connection into their lives without putting themselves, or loved ones, in danger. One of these is Say It Don't Spray It where I've been drawn to her flickr photos from day one. Pictures are a part of who I am. Friends and family have gotten used to me and my incessant needs to take photos every where we go. I feel awkward without my camera at a function even if I only snap one or two photos. I'm no where near a professional photographer--I'll leave that to the experts--but I am happy when I look back on the photos of Christmas, Thanksgiving, dinner out with the girls, or a wedding. It's a part of who I've become as life goes on and I want to be free to share it as part of my blog.

So, as you may have noticed, I've decided to share my photos in their full glory. (Thanks for the link Nanette!) If anyone who reads this blog objects to the sharing of their little loved ones then please feel free to let me know. I will respect your decision and keep them either shrouded or completely out of my posts and shared pics. (Nina, this is mostly directed at you) For now, and until I change my mind again, I will be sharing my Lil Man with you. Please don't make me regret it.

10 comments:

MissMissy said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Nanette said...

Flickr will change your blogging life! It makes it so easy to post photos within your blog posts, too. :)

10yearstogether said...

I am glad you will continue to share pics of Lil Man - he is so handsome and I love the mother-son pics :-)

Mrs. Shorty Cake said...

He's got such a sweet and happy face, glad to see the photos :)

Anonymous said...

I've struggled with that too (especially my daughter).. especially since I live on such a small island and it makes me feel much less "anonymous" should someone try to find us. I feel the same way, though, that pictures are a huge part of me, so continue to post them!

PS. I found you through California girl, love your blog!

Winnie said...

Ditto everyone else :)

That Girl said...

OOORRRR you could go the complete other way and change your name to something completely random and stop posting anything personal in your blog at all...........

wan said...

if i did what that girl suggested, my blog would grind to a halt.

amber said...

i'm glad you're sharing pictures now :)

addy said...

I've been debating the same thing - especially since my bf doesn't want pics of him up... I guess that right there decides it, but I get the strangeness about trying to balance privacy with the reasons behind blogging. I found your blog through Say It, Don't Spray It and I really enojy your posts!