I was all set to write about my afternoon appointment at the DMV today. I'm going in to renew my license and I'm hoping to take a new picture. I was all set to share how stupid I was because I practiced my smile in front of the mirror hoping for the holy grail of drivers license photos--a decent picture. I even scheduled my appointment for the afternoon so my hair would be fully dried and at it's most decent. It was going to be light hearted, hopefully funny, and I planned to poke a little fun at myself. Well you know what they say about the best laid plans... I just have other stuff on my mind and I didn't have it in me to say more than I just did about my trip to the DMV.
I got a message from my Dad yesterday morning that said to call him. I had a sinking feeling as soon as I heard his voice. My Dad and I talk all the time so it wasn't weird for him to call me. I could just tell that this time there was a purpose behind the phone call. And it wasn't going to be pleasant. I didn't hear the message until I was on my way home last night so I called and got a hold of my Dad. We chatted for a couple minutes and then he told me.
My Auntie has Breast Cancer.
I'm really not sure what to do with this information. I know that there have been many advances in the field of Breast Cancer and that there are many, many survivors. I wonder if I really need to be worried? How scary is this? I guess to answer all that I'm going to have to talk to her and find out. My Dad struggled with the information because he and his sister are pretty close. It took him a couple weeks to tell me about it and he isn't great with details. I think he only asked about as much as he could handle.
She's already started chemo. Her second round of treatment is on Monday. From what my Dad says, the tumor is too big to operate and the doctors are hoping to shrink the tumor with the chemo. It wasn't caught early, but it wasn't caught late either...I don't know what that means exactly. Again, my Dad is not good with the details. I'll have to call her this weekend to talk to her myself.
Until then I'm kind of hazy. Uncle Kevin is leaving this weekend for some kind of intensive, experimental treatment for his Cancer. My Auntie is sick too and I don't know how bad it is. I'm not sure what to do with this information. I'm kind of numb and I don't like it. But maybe numb is better right now because I think if I wasn't I would be really, really sad. And I like that even less.
14 comments:
so sorry to hear about this yucky string of illnesses. :(
Okay, THIS I can help with. Don't let your dad scare you too badly, as you said yourself it's his sister and the C-word is one of the scariest words ever. I bawled for a full week in February when one of my best friends was diagnosed.
BUT here's what I know. It's not uncommon for doctors to try chemo before surgery to shrink the tumor size. It's not necessarily that it's "too large to operate" but that it's more complicated when its bigger because there's other stuff in there, so if they can make the area smaller, it makes the surgery less complicated. AND its a pretty good sign that they think they have the time to try chemo first. If it were REALLY bad, they'd attempt the surgery and throw caution to the wind.
There's no such thing as a "good cancer" but as you said, there have been leaps and bounds in breast cancer research. Currently the cure rate is outstanding and there are quite a few treatment options.
I deal best with "facts" so if that helps you, I use www.cancer.org for a lot of research for work. It's a good, reputable source of information.
Big hugs and I'm thinking the best for you and your family and everything you're going through.
Oh, wow. I'm so sorry to hear this, R. That's a lot to handle. I'll continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts.
I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. Hang in there. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Oh my goodness. You think you have enough on your plate already? I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. My advice is to keep a positive attitude, and talk to your Aunt when you feel it is right. Offer your support, and hear what she is going through. You are right, there are many things they can do for breast cancer. I'll be thinking good thoughts for all of you. I'm so sorry.
I'm really sorry to hear it. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and both of my grandmas battled breast cancer, so it's an issue close to my heart. If you need anything or someone to listen, I'm here.
oh no!!!!!!! ok. don't panic. i know of MANY breast cancer survivors, from all stages. wm's aunt is going through it right now and she even said the treatments aren't nearly as bad as she expected. she can do it! i will be thinking about her, you and uncle kevin. craptastic... sigh.
BIG hug for you!! Thinking good thoughts for your whole family
oh, r. you know i'm sending positive vibes and tossing as much "no cancer" dust as i can find. with the advances in breast cancer treatment, i'm very hopeful that your auntie will be one of the many survivors. much love to you, your dad, and your auntie.
want to laugh? i totally spent an hour doing my hair before my last trip to the dmv to get a new license picture taken.
Well what Kate said is on point.
You know I believe in miracles on this topic... huge advances have been made and it seems like what they are having her do is pretty text book.
She's in my prayers, I promise you that.
awww 'That Girl's comment was very sweet. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, [[hugs]] from the east coast.
Sending your family some serious positive and healthy vibes. I agree with Aline, miracles happen everyday with cancer treatments. My bf's mom had stage 4 and she just completed her radiation - she is feeling great and healthy. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
oh R I'm sorry to hear this news, how devastating. Please don't give up hope or on prayers though...big hugs to you.
ah R, i'm so sorry to hear this :(
{{hugs}}
Post a Comment