Friday

A little bit of relief

Let me start off by clarifying the Starbucks situation. The Skinny Mocha is made with non-fat milk and a sugar free mocha syrup--you are correct Wan. :) They are discontinuing the sugar free syrup part of my mocha. I made a phone call to the local Starbucks to confirm this. I also ask about the Skinny Vanilla Latte, which is second runner up to my Mocha, for Winnie. They will continue with the Skinny Vanilla Lattes so you are safe my dear! I hope that brings you some peace going into your weekend. ;)

In other news, I spoke to my Auntie last night. I got a lot more information and she broke down the plan for her therapy over the next few months. The first round of chemo will have 5 sessions. If that is not successful in shrinking the tumor then they'll begin the second round of more potent chemo for an additional 3 sessions. Surgery is almost inevitable and will probably take place around the end of August or beginning of September. I asked her to let me know if she needs me there when/if it happens.

She let the tumor get very large before she sought medical attention. It attached itself to her skin and was so dense that it took 5 pokes to attempt to biopsy it. She thought it was cystic fibrosis...or should I say she was hoping that's all it was. It was obviously more than that. She's got a plan and she's doing what the doctors tell her to do and she's positive. Positive is good. Positive can go a long way. Positive made me smile when I heard her voice and she wasn't sad or scared.

I tried not to cry while I talked to her. She doesn't need drama or to be worried about how I'm feeling. I got through our 2 hour conversation and only cried a little once. And it was silently so I don't think she noticed too much. I don't get to see or talk to her often, but she's the only Auntie I know. The only one that I have fond memories of and the only one who spent time telling me that she loved me while I was growing up. I have to remember to spend time telling her that I love her too.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer. I just wanted to share a little. I'm still processing it all, but I think I feel more OK now. She knows I love her and that I'm here for her. She said that means more to her than she can express.

After that heavy conversation I needed something to lift my spirits. So what did I do? I watched The Office on TiVo. Did you see Andy take a head dive off of that golf cart?!? So damned funny!! Seriously, that's just what I needed. Thank you NBC. :)

10 comments:

California Girl said...

Boo on Starbucks! I've never been a mocha fan, but still, that really blows!

It's so nice that your aunt has such a good attitude. She's really lucky to have a niece like you. You will both be in my thoughts for sure.

Winnie said...

I wrote a long-ish comment and then Blogger threw me an error message. If this is a repeat, please delete :) I was just saying it's nice that you and your auntie have a great relationship. I'm sure it means a lot and helps her stay positive to hear that you care about her.

And thanks for the Starbucks news! I'm sad for your skinny mocha but just switch to skinny vanilla latte!

wan said...

many many prayers from me for your auntie.

and hey, you could still have a slightly skinny mocha :)

weezermonkey said...

Did you watch 30 Rock this week? Laugh-out-loud funny.

dapotato said...

i'm glad your aunt has a good attitude, and that she has loved ones like you to help her keep it up over the next few, probably tough, months.

That Girl said...

I'm glad you were able to talk to her. That probably was more helpful that she knows. And thank goodness she has such a positive outlook. You're both strong women and you'll get through this!

Jen said...

Your aunt is lucky to have you. I will keep her in my prayers.

And, The Office always lifts my spirit, too.

10yearstogether said...

I have yet to watch an episode of the office :-/ I'm so sorry to hear that this is a tough time that your aunt and your family are going through. I am in the same situation and it's so sad, but it gives us perspective about life and how we should be grateful for the good things that we DO have. You're a good niece with a wonderful heart R.

amber said...

a positive outlook is so important when dealing with something like this. i'm glad you're both trying to look on the upside to everything.

i'm sorry about the mocha :( and i know the other girls are suggesting switching to a skinny vanilla one, but as a big NF mocha fan, i know a vanilla one just isn't the same :/

Cee said...

when Andy launched off the golf cart, i almost peed in my pants from laughter. omg. freaking funtastic

thank goodness about the skinny vanilla. It's the only joy i get when i got to ST now.