Sunday

Firsts

This week my Lil Man started his first day of Jr. High School. Remember Jr. High? I do. It doesn't feel like it was that long ago. In reality it was 20 years ago that I had my first day of Jr. High School. 20 years! Holy crap. Holy old lady crap.

I'm pretty sure I was more nervous about his first day than he was. I remember my unfond days of Jr. High School. Those were my most awkward and toturous two years of adolescense. The thought that my kid could have the same experience scares the shit out of me. Makes me want to work extra hard to make sure he doesn't suffer the same fate. I'm no expert on children or growing up, but I'll do what I can to help him feel less out of place in his own skin than I did during that time.

Along with my nerves I was also a little excited for him. He's growing up and going to have some fun experiences in the process. I warned him early in the day that I was going to be a big nerd and take pictures of him so he'd have to deal with it. He sighed at me and said OK. I decided to just take a couple and spare him the misery.

Here he is in the car on the way to school.

I asked him if he wanted me to go in to school with him when I dropped him off. I saw several other kids walking in with their parents and thought I should ask. He, of course, said no. I guess I kind of expected him to. I knew deep down inside that I need to let him handle this on his own. I never realized how hard it was going to be to let go.
My Lil Man walking into school and waving good-bye. He looks so big to me. He's probably wishing that I'd just drive away already.


I'm happy to say that his first day of school went well according to him. He said everything was fine, he made it to all his classes OK, and got through the day with no problems. He even has a couple of kids from his football team in his classes. I was relieved because he's going to a different school than most of the kids from his elementary school are attending. That means starting over with friends and knowing people. So far so good.

Lil Man's other first was for football. His first scrimmage game! Saturday morning we packed up all his gear along with some snacks and drinks to go to the park. At 8 a.m. we met with his team and they began to warm up. The first of two games started at 9 and those kids were fired up. They did pretty well in the first game and we were really proud of the team. They made a lot more mistakes in the second game, but they hung in and kept playing. It was a great experience and I took way more pictures than necessary.

Here are a couple of them:



He said he had a lot of fun yesterday. I'm really happy he's enjoying it so far. I hope it continues through the season because I'm having a lot of fun with it too. It's a huge time commitment but will be completely worth it if he gains some positive things from the experience.

13 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Junior high!
Football!
Ahhhhhh!
Definitely growing up!

California Girl said...

Lil Man is so stinkin cute! Seriously, he has such a lovable face.

And you are such a good mama. He is so lucky to have you! Truly an inspiration!

Winnie said...

First of all, eeeeeee Lil Man is growing up so quickly!!! He looks like a star in the making in that football uniform ;-)

Now I'll be the first to admit that I was awkward as hell in 7th grade. And 8th. And 9th . . . up through the first year of college. Yes, it's sad. To top it off, my family moved to the U.S. in the summer before 7th grade so I had to get up-to-speed on English in addition to figuring out what's considered cool in 7th grade in California. Yeesh. Please add another 50 points to my awkwardness meter.

Considering how you and I both turned out ok, I'm sure Lil Man will do fine whether he's the most popular or geekiest kid in the class :)

Mrs. Shorty Cake said...

I think he gets cuter in every photo. :) Yay for "Lil Man!" (and you too mom)

willikat said...

oh god, junior high. even if i could go back knowing what i know now, and got a million dollars at the end, i couldn't be convinced into doing it again, no way no how.

Jessica Love said...

Oh my goodness!! Jr High! He is SO BIG!

Nanette said...

Awwww, Little Man isn't so little anymore!

wan said...

whoa, he started school already? hell, the teen doesn't start till 8/26 and i thought THAT was early.

he looks adorable all suited up :)

ssinca said...

you can no longer call him "lil" man;(

Jen said...

ssinca is right! I love that he is playing football! He is too cute!

Also, I am lmao at "holy old lady crap." hehe :)

That Girl said...

Okay, so I've known you what, a year? And yet I always think of little man as 6/7 - I can't believe how old he is!!!

amber said...

wow, he starts early! i'm guessing the school is on a year-round schedule?

jr. high! he's growing up so fast. and really, it can be okay. elementary school sucked big time for me, but jr. high was great. there are more kids so there are more options for friends. i'm sure he'll do great!

he's so cute in all his football pads and stuff. you must be very proud of him :)

Claire said...

aw, he's adorable! and growing up! don't you wish you could press pause sometimes?