I'm way overdue for an update on Spunky. Unfortunately the news is not the best, but it's not the worst either. Last Thursday she went in for a lumbar puncture to see whether or not the cancer is in remission. The results would take a day or two to come back. If the cancer was in remission, then the preparations for her bone marrow transplant would be made. If it was not then she would need to undergo heavier chemo to continue to try and eradicate it from her body.
Spunky was readmitted to the hospital today for another round of chemo. The results of the test showed that Spunky still has 9% of the cancer cells in her bone marrow. The hopes had been that she'd be in the 0-5% range. When she was first tested she had 90% cells in her marrow so the reduction means that she is responding well to the treatment. It also shows that she wasn't that far off from the target.
She's estimated to stay in the hospital for 2-3 weeks depending on how well she responds this round. We're all hoping that things go as well as they did the first time. In the meantime we'll be rooting for her and the family to get through is OK. After the treatment she'll be transfered to another hospital for the marrow transplant. At that point she'll need more blood platelets to be donated for those who are willing.
Spunky has already lost all of her hair. It happened very quickly. One day we were talking about cutting it short like Dora, and a week later it was all gone. She's still in good spirits and has a lot of family love and support. Her are a couple of recent pictures sent to me by her mother. Gotta love that smile.



14 comments:
Wow. Those pictures are ADORABLE.
Wow - she looks like she is so full of love and optimism. What a great little girl.
What a great smile! Lots of h+p as she goes through this next round...
I'm still on the registry in hope sof helping someone like Spunky and I will be donating blood on the 8th.
Spunky is beautiful! I hope she gets better soon.
Mr. Monkey and I were talking about cancer the other day. We feel like it always strikes the most wonderful, kindest people (like his mom).
We send Spunky good thoughts for good health!
I, too, love Spunky's smile! Sending her lots of healthy vibes!
What a beautiful smile! I am keeping her in my prayers.
She remains in my deepest thoughts.
what a great smile. i hope she has a speedy recovery.
She is an adorable little girl! If there comes a time that she needs blood again, please let me know and I would be more than happy to send out emails to friends/donate myself.
seriously, like everyone said, her smile is so beautiful and exudes life. lots of healthy vibes going her way, and my thoughts are with her family.
I see nothing but love in those little eyes! She's in my prayers!!
spunky is one beautiful little girl. you know she's in my prayers.
ditto the others. what a beautiful little girl. you know she is in my prayers.
Post a Comment