There have been some new developments in my Auntie's medical situation. She sent an e-mail last week letting my Dad and I know that she has been scheduled for her double mastectomy surgery. Originally it was going to be tomorrow on the 20th, but that changed when she decided that she would take steps towards possibly undergoing reconstructive surgery in the future. When she changed her mind the date got moved to the 28th.
My Auntie has several well intentioned friends that offered to help her during this process of coping with, treating, and recovering from her cancer. Of course, when it's crunch time, no one can be there to help her. One of her friends probably could follow through with her earlier promises, but her house is an environment of chaos that is not conducive to a relaxed and restful recovery. Not to mention she's recently had surgery on her foot that would make it difficult for her to move around freely to help my Auntie. She'd rather be at home where she's comfortable and can rest. I don't blame her.
I had always planned to fly out to be with her during her surgery if she needed or wanted me to. Since she's a fairly private person I didn't know if she'd want me there. I talked to her on the phone over the weekend and she said she would really love for me to be there if I could. I spoke to my Dad a day or two later and he got really emotional when I told him that I planned to be there. My Auntie isn't married and never had any kids. We are it. We will take care of her...for now, I will.
Early on in this process of her treatment I'd talked to Hubbs about flying out if she needed me so we were somewhat ready. I expected it to be later in the year, but plans change and you go with the flow. I will be flying out there next Wednesday the 27th and will stay with her through the 6th of September. I'm very thankful that my job is flexible and I'm able to go at such short notice. I've also been extremely fortunate that people are helping out while I'm gone so that Lil Man can get to practice in the evenings and to his scheduled doctor appointment. I am forever grateful to Nina and my Mom for their support. Of course, Hubbs will be holding down the fort on all fronts in my absence too and deserves big props for that. I am so unbelievably lucky he's my husband.
I'll be missing a lot of things while I'm gone...a baby shower, a bachelorette party, Lil Man's football games, and all the other daily things that make me smile. Out of everything, I am the most sad to miss my son's birthday. I've never missed one before and this breaks my heart. It's the last one before he turns into an official teenager and we had planned a fun day at Universal Studios to celebrate. I had a talk with Lil Man about everything and he was very much OK with the situation. I promised to take him somewhere fun for a belated celebration when I get back and he thought that was a great idea. I feel better, but I will most assuredly feel that twinge of sadness on the 31st.
I'm happy to be able to stay with my Auntie and help her after those initial days, but I will admit that I'm unsure of what to expect. I'm also a tiny bit afraid of falling short of the role I'm supposed to play. I hope I'm a help and I hope I can handle it. I will be staring her cancer in the face and I don't want to crack.
13 comments:
Big hug for you. You are an incredible niece.
I think that just you being there with your delightful personality and beautiful smile will be helpful to your auntie. I'm sad for you that you'll miss lil man's birthday . . . but I'm sure your hubby and family will make him feel special still :)
Also, your auntie will be in my thoughts. I hope she has a speedy recovery.
[hugs]
you are awesome for being there for your auntie.
you are strong and will mos def get through this, i am sure. and if you crack a little, that might be ok (as long as you can still function, of course ;)). i know you will take really good care of her.
You are so incredibly sweet, kind, and caring. As you said, a lot of people are all "talk", but you are actually stepping up to the plate to help your Aunt. That is just so wonderful of you. She is so lucky to have you.
Lil' man and H and everyone else are so accommodating and understanding because they know what an incredible thing you are doing. You will definitely be in my thoughts, and you will totally do a great job, I have no doubts.
I know I'm far and there's little I can do, but if you need anything please don't hesitate to ask. You are a wonderful daughter/mother/niece/woman. Little man will have plenty more birthdays, besides he's so much almost an adult he might as well get used to celebrating his birthday when its convenient for everyone else ;-)
You are such a sweetheart and such a good niece. I know you auntie will be happy to have you there. I am keeping her (and you) in my prayers.
You know how your wrote the other day that you fear you're not special or unique? This post proves that you are. What a kind, loving thing to do -- and Lil Man is such a great kid to understand it.
everyone else summed it up so nicely. that is so generous of you to go out there and take care of your auntie. you are both in my thoughts and prayers. {{hugs}}
You're not going to crack. Not even a little. Women are fighters and you and your aunt are no exception, Be prepared to surprise yourself with your own strength. You're aboout to partake in something very painful but extremely rewarding and your life will be all the better for it. Good for you for exhibiting such compassion!
You are an incredible niece! I'll be thinking about you. Caring for someone is so extremely difficult, as I've recently learned, but you'll be awesome! Keep us posted and my prayers are with you for strength and wisdom!
what a wonderful person you are - but that's nothing i didn't already know.
i'm proud of all of you for the way you're handling it. and especially li'l man - this is such a wonderful way to teach him how to handle the curves life throws at you, and i know it's a lesson he'll always remember.
i love ya, friend. know that your auntie and all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.
You are a fabulous niece, and Lil Man is great for understanding.
Sending lots of healthy vibes your family's way!
Post a Comment