Yesterday was a semi miserable day thanks to an air conditioner that stopped working in the office. It was only about 93 degrees outside which made for a sweltering 198ish degrees inside. Yes, I'm exaggerating but I was a sweaty mess and could barely focus on getting work done. Yuck. It felt like a million degrees with humidity. I waited and waited for the repair man to show up, but that never happened.
Then it was finally time to change clothes and head to the Rose Bowl for more sweaty fun. I was hoping not to be grumpy and just run as much as I could. It was hot outside and I'm a novice at running. I was about half way changed (picture me in a sleeveless running shirt, running socks, and my capri pants worn to work. I know...sexy...) when the phone rang at work. I hesitated answering it since I wanted to go, but I picked it up anyway. And just like that *snap* my free time came to a crashing end.
The call was from the athletic director of a local football team in our area. Lil Man had been placed on the waiting list to hopefully be picked up by a team.
*quick background: After his brief stint at Steve Smith's football camp while visiting Hubbs' parents this summer, he decided he wanted to play. We had looked into it but sign-ups and try-outs had already passed.
Well, as luck would have it the two people he'd contacted ahead of Lil Man had not responded so he offered the position to him. He asked for him to be at practice that evening at 6:00 p.m. to watch. (Mind you it was already 5:00 p.m.) What followed was a flurry of phone calls, text messages, and wardrobe changes. I had to cancel with the running group, make sure Lil Man wanted to still play, talk to Hubbs, and rearrange dinner among other things. After it was all said and done we were at practice by 6:30 and Lil Man was standing in trying to learn plays already. He's definitely smaller than most of the team, but he was trying to keep up. Wow! Just like that *snap* my free time came to a crashing end.
Practice is from 6-8 on Monday through Friday and scrimmage games on Saturdays for the rest of August. Then it's time for the real games to start. This Saturday we have to meet the team at 6:30 a.m. to drive to certification. (This is where he gets officially weighed for the roster to make sure the team isn't sneaking in some roided out 17 year old in with the 12 year olds) Oh boy. Busy schedule already.
This morning I had to go to work late so I could get him a physical. He also needed cleats, a mouth guard, girdle, cup, chin strap, and an under armor shirt. I also needed to gather his birth certificate, proof of residence, money for jersey lettering, and a picture for the roster. It was a very unexpectedly busy morning. Whew!
Cross your fingers that he doesn't get hurt out there. Also cross your fingers that he doesn't hate it after all this time and money is spent. I want him to love it, but I don't want to be the pushy sports Mom and ruin it for him. Cross your fingers that I keep it together. ;)
8 comments:
dang. i vaguely remember that hullabaloo from when my brother played when young. he didn't stick with it for long, but long enough to gain appreciation for football, make some friends, and move on to another (less expensive) sport. good luck to you and li'l man!
Oy! What a crazy day it ended up being! I hope lil man does love it! That would suck to invest all that time and $$ and then he's not into it! GL.
Geez Louise. Little Man needs to hurry up and get his license so he can cart himself around to all these events.
ditto that girl!
how fun! and how completely stressful and time-consuming :/
i bet he loves it. and i'll think good thoughts that he doesn't get hurt and you don't go insane ;)
Wonderful experience + memories + new friends + exercise = money well spent :)
Yay, go lil man!!!! What a great opportunity to pop up!
But I hope you can sneak in free time in the midst of everything. :)
yay for li'l man! i love that he's decided to play after all. i can't wait for pics :)
oh, and btw - if the a/c had gone out in an office i was working in, in this heat...let's just say that they'd have to fire me or simply allow me to leave. no. effing. way.
Post a Comment