Thursday

Aftermath

Two days post election and I'm still hearing talk about it all over the place. I find it extremely interesting that this election has moved so many people and apparently stuck with them. I liken it to the feelings of patriotism Americans had post 9-11 and wondered how long it would last; just like I wonder how long people will still feel this elation with the election of America's first African American President. I'm going to personally soak in it as long as I can because I think it is truly amazing to be alive and remember such an amazing, historic event. It gives me hope for my son and for all of us. Be assured that I did not vote for Barack Obama because of the color of his skin. I voted for him because his policies and views are closer to mine than the other candidate. I voted for him because I believe he can help to make our country better than it is right now. I hope that he can get people in this country working together to bring it out of the hole it's in now.

I am extremely disappointed over the passing of Proposition 8. I have a whole lot to say about it, but I will refrain from posting it here. I'm sure it's being heard all over the place and people are probably sick of the subject by now. Besides that, there isn't enough room here to have a valid debate or change people's minds. I'd need a whole lot more time and space for that. I will say that in addition to "shame on California" I will say "shame on me" for not being more vocal and active in my support of equality to all people regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or religious belief. I feel like I should have talked about it more to people. I should have asked people their thoughts leading up to the vote. Maybe I could have helped GLBT become one step closer to having the same rights that I do.

I wanted to make sure I documented my feelings on this election because when I look back and read my own words a year, 4 years, or 10 years from now I want to remember the impact it had on me. When Lil Man is old enough to have learned about the struggle of blacks and women in America I want him to be able to read what his Mom thought about Tuesday November 4, 2008. I want him to know that I was a proud, bi-racial women who voted in this election because I had the right to do so. I want him to understand that no matter where he comes from socially, economically, or with regards to his race that he has the opportunity to be great based on his accomplishments and who he is as a person. I don't expect him to be President one day, but I sure as hell am happy that now I can say he could be and believe it.

9 comments:

wan said...

you know that the biggest reason for my blog is the hope that the girls will want to read it some day to see what their crazy mom was thinking way back when.

weezermonkey said...

Your last sentence is poetry. Love.

willikat said...

I'm so so so excited about this election. I'm so moved by it and what it means for our [future for me] children. I feel like this is such a gigantic step forward for everyone. :) Much love!

That Girl said...

I feel a lot of the exact same guilt that you do - I feel that I didn't do enough, that I could have done more.

Trisha said...

I totes agree on the feeling that I didn't do enough. Now I'm trying to fix that. It's not too late! The fight continues :)

amber said...

like any president, lord knows obama will face his fair share of criticism in the coming months/years. it's bound to happen, but i feel so much more hopeful at the start of this presidency that i'm a bit giddy. for me, it's really invigorated my interest in politics and for that, i'm very grateful.

Winnie said...

I think years from now, lil man will be so proud of having you as his mom.

Jen said...

I agree. So thrilled re: Obama. So sad re: Prop 8.

Julie Q said...

aww i was heartbroken to hear about prop 8 in cali. its bitter sweet after such an amazing presidential election. go obama!