Well, it's been quite a roller coaster for me over the last few days. Thursday brought some bad news. I alluded to it in my last post, but now that things have settled a bit (and I'm freaking out less) I can talk about. On Thursday the two guys I work with/for told me that things are bad in Office Land. As of the first of the year my hours and salary will be cut by 40%. That's a big fat ouch. You are probably making the same faces I made when I heard the information.
A pay cut of that magnitude will make life very difficult for my household. My industry isn't exactly thriving so I know I'm not the only one dealing with something like this. Other people have lost their jobs entirely so I know it could be worse. I try to think positively about that at least. It's tough to see the positive, but I have to keep telling myself "it could be worse".
Truthfully, we can not financially survive something like this for an extended period of time. I took some time to think of my options and try to come up with what to do next and I have a little bit of a plan. There is a possibility that I could make up the lost income at my job with a commission-like situation, but there are a lot of "ifs" in that equation and there are no guarantees. Thankfully I have the tax season coming up and I might be able to pick up some extra hours there to help close the pay gap. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.
Aside from that, I have my resume updated and I'll be keeping an ear out for other opportunities. If the commission thing doesn't work out starting in January then I will have no alternative but to get another job. As much as I want to stay where I am and see this business through to success again, I can't afford to under these circumstances. I have to do what's best for my family.
Times are tough but I have my family and friends around giving support. I also have my health. Other people have worse issues than me. We (Hubbs and I) are in this together and we'll make it through somehow. I just have to remember, it could be worse and I've been through worse. We'll make it. Maybe with a few dents and scratches when it's all said and done, but we'll make it. :)
Thanks to those of you who showed concern for me in your comments. I really do appreciate the thoughts. *big hugs to you!*
14 comments:
thinking good thoughts...I feel your pain!
Stupid economy. Good luck with everything!
[hugs] I am so sorry to hear this :( Best of luck and be strong.
oh, r. i'm so sorry - but i'm glad that you're able to look for the bright side no matter what! i know you'll be fine, but i'm here whenever you need to vent or cry or scream or whatever!
Oh, no! :(
I'm here for you -- to commiserate and to look for any leads.
:( i'm really sorry R. i hope that you find something quickly. {{hugs}}
I really admire your positive attitude. Good luck!
I really admire your positive attitude. Good luck!
awwww [hugs and a million virtual dollars] from boston. I think our economy should shape up pretty soon, i hope?
Oh nooooooooo! I had a feeling it was job-related. I am so sorry. I know what it feels like to lose a job, and although you're still hanging on to yours, that is a hugely significant cut and certainly really hard to deal with. I am sure that you will figure something out and you'll come out of it fine, but I think it's OK to feel like it's a really hard thing and go through the emotions that come with having something happen out of your control with your job.
You can always vent to me if you need to! I'm still recovering from my job loss! But I'm here to say that you can come out on top, maybe even happier than you were before.
OMG! I'm so sorry to be chiming in late on this one. Please know that you're in my thoughts. And definitely keep up the positive attitude!
So sorry to hear about this R. This is terrible. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts hoping things will be better and I know they will.
Keep up w/ the positive attitude.
Oh honey, that's really tough. I'm so sorry. The economy bites right now. You guys will make it through though. Definitely start applying for other jobs. Visualize another opportunity opening up for you.
You guys will make it work. Just keep repeating that to yourself.
I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you.
R I am really sorry to hear that this economy is hitting you hard. The strong will perservere though and I know you are one of those people. When you get a chance, would you email me and let me know what kind of business you do exactly so I can possibly send some your way?
Post a Comment