Tuesday

Each one teach one

Every generation teaches the younger one lessons to carry on. As parents, we are imparted with the duty to show our children what is important in life. Then, when they become parents, they do the same. It seems like a simple task and, in most cases, it is.

Very recently I have taught my son a lesson that I hope he never forgets. One that I hope will be a step in the right direction towards bettering mankind one person at a time. Something that I've always thought was important, but don't think enough parents take the time to enlighten and illustrate the point to their children. I decided that now is the time to pass on a nugget of truth that can't be forgotten...

"Never wear socks with sandals"

It doesn't matter how old you get, it will never be OK. Unfortunately, I have too many real-life examples to show him. I have also added to the Socks and Sandals Lesson by letting him know that black socks pulled up with tennis shoes, or any shoes for that matter, are a no-no too. Every chance I get I point out someone who's parents were not kind enough to depart this knowledge to their offspring. It's unfortunate, but know that I am doing my part.

If you don't have kids, that's OK. I'm sure you may know of an adult or family member that can benefit from this lesson...a niece or nephew possibly. Maybe even someone in your life who is a participant in the spreading of this unfortunate phenomenon. If you do, now is your chance to make a difference. Change starts with you. So pass it on. Tell a friend. Each one teach one. In the words of G.I. Joe, "Knowledge is power, and knowing is half the battle."

3 comments:

weezermonkey said...

The picture with the dark socks is classic.

Nanette said...

Ha, ha! Actually, you know what's funny? In jr. high it was actually cool to wear socks with Birkenstocks! I know! So bizarre!

And yes, I totally did it.

wan said...

you are a wise, wise mom. on behalf of the general public, i thank you.