Friday

0-0-1

Last night's game was better than I expected it to be. It was freakin' hot outside, but our team played inside the gym at the Jr. High so it wasn't going to be that bad...until we got in the gym and realized there was no air conditioning on. Fabulous. 50 parents, 4 coaches, 20 sweaty kids, and no food or drinks allowed inside the sweltering hot box. Swell. I just won't get thirsty and we should be all right.

It was a near blow out in the first half. Our team was up 12-2 at halftime. When we came back after the break, the other team had figured out how to close the gaps and score a few points for themselves. 21-21 with less than a minute to go in the final quarter...it's our ball and the point guard is doing a good job of running the clock down...he finds a hole and makes an easy lay-up. *loud cheering from the parents* The other team takes the ball out and works their way up the court...great defensive pressure from our team...now there's .2 seconds left and they shoot...and score. *loud cheers from the other side of the gym* Final score 23-23.

Tied game. Hubbs said it's like kissing your sister.

2-4-6-8...yeah, yeah, yeah. Snack time. :)

I unveiled the baked offerings to comments of "Cupcakes! I love cupcakes!" and "Oooh, very nicely done." I even heard "Hey, they have our numbers on them!" *secret inside smile* The coach reminded next week's parents that they have snacks at the end of his "Good Job" speech and thanked me for the great snacks this week. Everyone actually applauded. I'm sure they were just being nice...but I'll take that as a victory. We may have tied the game, but I won the snack contest. Hee.

Also, I'm happy to report that apparently there are other parents with shrimpy genes in their DNA. There were at least two kids on the other team that could have been shorter than Lil' Man. I know it's sick, but that made me happy. Oh, and one of them sucked worse than my kid. Score again. I'd say last night was a good night for me. :)

With that said, I'll leave you with a team huddle during a time out. Lil' Man is #2 on the right. Why does he always stand next to the biggest kid?? I guess they're all big compared to him, but still...

4 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Reading these stories warms my heart. :)

wan said...

you're such a good mommy! isn't it amazing, the things we endure for our kids?

Trisha said...

He looks so cute in that picture!

I wonder how many hours of work the next parent is going to put into snack week after seeing your awesome cupcakes...

willikat said...

sorry i havent' gotten back to you re: my clown phobia. my basic thing about clowns is their motivation. what adult wants to dress up like that, all crazy, and touch little kids? and i don't even mean like creepy touch. i just don't understand. i suppose It cemented my fear that clowns had bad intentions. i also don't like other dressed-up things, like people in animal costumes, etc. although i loved disneyland a few years ago. go figure.