Thursday

Secret Snack Contest

Today is Lil Man's first basketball game for the summer league. He's kinda pumped about it, and so am I. Truth be told, he's not very good. He's actually the shortest kid on the team...possibly the shortest in the league, but I can't really confirm that. He's a piranha on the court though. A defensive knat. He's all up in your face and buzzing around that ball trying to steal it. Kind of annoying, but you can't ignore his presence. The kid plays with heart...when he feels like it.

Anyway, each week the parents are assigned to bring snacks. No big deal. We bring enough for each kid to grab something after the game. There are only eight kids playing tonight so that makes it easier. I'm mulling over what to bring when I realize I'm up to bring the snacks for the first week. Then my competitive side kicks into overdrive. I'm going to set the tone for the snack-bringing over the next few weeks. And if my snack is good enough, all future snacks will be compared to it. If someone else beats it, then it's obviously because we set the bar. OK, I'm on it.

I've decided to bring two kinds of mini Gatorades, water in case Gatorade is too sugary, and for the grand finale--cupcakes. Decorated to look like basketballs. Sweet huh? And for that extra special touch, I'm going to write each players number on a cupcake. I even decided to put a C for each of the coaches. I got in touch with the coach and made sure to get the numbers for the kids playing tonight so I didn't leave anyone out. I know, stop it. It's not that serious. I'm sure no one else really cares about the snacks or how good they are either. I'm sure it's my own private contest, but imagine how happy those sweaty little mongrels are going to be after the game when they roll up to my snack station.

I made the frosting because those ones you buy at the store are kinda crappy. At least the white one is. I forgot to get the red food coloring (to make orange) and I ran out of powdered sugar, so my ass had to run back to the store to buy it this morning. Now I realize that I need a different color icing or gel to write the players' numbers on them, so we'll head back to the store one last time on my way to drop Lil' Man off at his day care. Details make it special. ;)

When I set my mind to something, I do it. No matter how lame or silly it may seem to anyone else or even to me. So they're done. Chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Yum. The frosting is a little more thin than I'd like it to be, but the cake is moist and fluffy so overall they're pretty good. I hope the kids like them. And I hope I win the secret snack contest. Hee hee.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laughing gmy ass off here! I totally do this for any event Madi needs to bring something for. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one!!

willikat said...

wow, supermom! and not in that cheesy supermom SuperAmerica way ... if you have those gas stations where you live you know what i'm talking about. ok. nevermind. i'd be so proud to have my mom come to my games with treats like that!

weezermonkey said...

You are SO winning the snack contest.

Anonymous said...

Coolest mom ever.

Nanette said...

Those are AWESOME!!! Be sure to report back on the reactions!

And I'm sure I'll be the same way when the time comes. ;)

Trisha said...

You're the best mom ever! Wanna adopt me?

wan said...

i LOVE how your cupcakes are all smooth looking. you did a great job, mom! i definitely vote you as winner of the super secret snack contest.

aaaaand now i want a cupcake.

Bree said...

Those look yummy. Good job, R!