
Approx. 3 weeks ago--My Mom graciously picks up my car while I'm at work and takes it to our Trusted Mechanic for me on her day off. (Such a nice Mom!) She hoped to be able to address the check engine light that popped on so unexpectedly for me since I've been running around like a crazy person with no time lately. The problem seemed to be that my little g-ride needed the transmission flushed and possibly a new filter. My Mom took it and had the flush done. The check engine light turned off and the car drove nicely. For about two days everything was gravy. Then the light came back on. Boo.
Last Friday--I finally was able to take my car in to the mechanic before work and have the filter replaced and rid myself of that damned yellow-orange light in the corner. The plan was to take it in, walk over to some place and have breakfast, come back and head off to work after the car was done. Easy. Simple. Not so much.
Of course this part was located in the top of the transmission block which meant he needed to drop the motor, pull out the transmission, drain all the fluids, replace the part inside the transmission, and then put it all back. Sounds complicated, right? It was going to take 2-3 days, not hours, to get the work done. The estimate was $600 for parts and labor. Another place would have charged me more and tried to sell me on replacing the transmission so it was a good price, but still...$600. Yikes.
Monday--Over the weekend I talked it over with Hubbs and decided to get the work done
starting Monday. The sooner the better. I didn't want to risk having the transmission go bad and wind up having to do more work which meant spending even more money. I took Lil' Man to school and headed out to Trusted Mechanic. I dropped off the car and Enterprise picked me up. I left there with a rental car shortly after and was headed to work. It was a boring little Chevy something-or-other with no power windows and no guts. Whatever, it was getting me to work. I've driven worse in the past I guess.
starting Monday. The sooner the better. I didn't want to risk having the transmission go bad and wind up having to do more work which meant spending even more money. I took Lil' Man to school and headed out to Trusted Mechanic. I dropped off the car and Enterprise picked me up. I left there with a rental car shortly after and was headed to work. It was a boring little Chevy something-or-other with no power windows and no guts. Whatever, it was getting me to work. I've driven worse in the past I guess.*Side rant* Why in the hell does it cost so freakin' much to rent a stupid little car with no power windows? Seriously. The rental was $30 a day with the shop discount plus the basic insurance coverage at $12 a day plus gas. Bastards. For $45 a day after tax I'd like to not have to frantically spin the handle for some fresh air thank you very much. *Side rant over*
Later on Monday I get a call from the mechanic. He tells me that the problem is not the solenoid after all. It's the computer board in the car that's bad. It's sending bad signals and that is why I'm having problems. This sounds worse is what I'm thinking at this point. Brace yourself...
TM then tells me that part should be covered under warranty and that I should call the dealership to find out. I called the dealership and they told me it probably was and to bring it in. Yay! This is why he is Trusted Mechanic. He could have done the work and made some money but instead he saved me money. A lot of it. And for this reason I will always drive out of my way to have him work on our cars.
I had to drive back to Enterprise that day to return the rental and pick up my car. After that I headed to job #2 and finished my night. It would be an early morning on Tuesday to continue my quest for canceling my car troubles.
I'll leave things here for now. I've already gone on too long. Besides, I probably lost most of you at "solenoid". ;)
What will happen next? Will R get her car fixed finally? Will she she flip out in the middle of the dealership and have the police come visit as a result? Will she ride off into the sunset with a rental car and become the next high speed chase on Fox 11 at 11? Stay tuned to find out. ;)
I'll leave things here for now. I've already gone on too long. Besides, I probably lost most of you at "solenoid". ;)
What will happen next? Will R get her car fixed finally? Will she she flip out in the middle of the dealership and have the police come visit as a result? Will she ride off into the sunset with a rental car and become the next high speed chase on Fox 11 at 11? Stay tuned to find out. ;)
5 comments:
bwahahaha. love the end. sorry to hear about the car troubles...so annoying, especially in LA. i hope it all got resolved.
Argh! Mr. Monkey's CW had the "good" luck of having horrible car troubles a little before we went to South America, so we lent him Purple Rain for 17 days!
yay for trusted mechanic! it's always good to hear that there are honest folks out there in this day and age.
i cracked up at your rant about power windows. because, really, why do they even MAKE cars without power windows anymore?
dude, that sucks terribly. I'm glad TM was able to tell you the truth and advise on going back to the dealership.
oh and I'm still lost on what a solenoid is.
ugh. car trouble is awful. although, i'm glad that you have such a good mechanic to take the car to :)
Post a Comment