Thursday

L.A. Marathon

mar·a·thon [mar-uh-thon] –noun

1. a foot race over a course measuring 26 mi. 385 yd. (42 km 195 m).
2. any long-distance race.
3. any contest, event, or the like, of great, or greater than normal, length or duration or requiring exceptional endurance: a dance marathon; a sales marathon.

[Origin: 1895–1900; allusion to Pheidippides' 26-mi. (42-km) run from Marathon to Athens to carry news of the Greek victory over the Persians in 490 b.c.]


This is the definition of marathon provided on dictionary.com. My definition of marathon is different after this past Sunday. Marathon means conquering what seems to be impossible and coming out on the other end with smiles for miles. It means people having the dedication and sacrifice to accomplish something that shows what you're made of inside. Marathon, to me, means Andrea, Diane, Kim, Cat, Jess, and Aline.

I woke up on Sunday morning pretty excited for the the day. I was born and raised in Southern California and I have never been to the L.A. Marathon. I was finally going to see what it was all about. Better yet, I had some ladies to cheer on in the event. I'd spent the last couple nights preparing for Sunday and it was finally here. Yipee!

I looked at the clock to see what time it was throughout the morning and kept saying to myself, "Wow. These ladies have been running for 2 1/2 hours (or however long it had been) already. I can't believe it." I was in awe before I ever got to our cheer spot at Flower and 5th.

Leading up to the Marathon OC and LA Nesties had a plan to meet up at Union Station and head to Phillipe for lunch. I decided to "Go Metro" to avoid traffic and parking headaches and boarded the subway, signs and bags in hand, at the North Hollywood station. I think I might have scared a little boy on the train. I must have looked like a bag lady with all that stuff and he was not happy when I sat next to him. Sorry little dude! I swear I'm not a crazy bag lady.

Anyway, I was greeted at Union Station by Wan and Amber and we quickly finished putting together the goodies bags for our runner pals. (Thanks Amber, Monkey, and Wan for helping to make these happen!)

The design on the bottom of the bag didn't come out quite like I'd planned, but I think it came out pretty good. It's the downtown L.A. skyline from this picture. Inside we filled them with G2, Icy Hot, Motrin, Jolly Ranchers, E. Salts, TOJ packets, and some other relief items and goodies.

Once the OC girls arrived we headed out to Phillipe for some dipped sandwiches and lemonade. So tasty! I also had macaroni salad and pie with my sandwich. I was so hungry since I hadn't had breakfast that I think I over did it. Whatever, it was good!

After lunch we hopped the train back to where the marathon was taking place.

My sad little camera was nothing compared to Jon and the Monkey's so definitely check out Kate and Weezermonkey's blogs for better photos.

Once off the train we were guided to the best cheering spot by the Monkey. We were right at the curb where the runners could see us as they headed up the hill to finish the .2 leg of their trek. We parked it there for the next couple of hours and slowly made our way to the front of the crowd. Our runners NEEDED to see our signs and we NEEDED to cheer them on when they came by. We had a great time waiting in that crowd and cheering on other people in the mean time.

I didn't get any pictures of our runners because I was on sign duty, but can I just tell you how freaking excited I was each time one of our girls ran by? I don't think I can describe it. I was so proud of their accomplishment and so much in awe of what they's done. How could you not yell your head off for them?

After our superstars crossed the finish line a couple of us were able to hang out at the hotel with runners and their husbands. It was a great way to end the day for me....hanging out, hearing about their thoughts on it all, and laughing. They are amazing.


It was an awesome experience to just be in the crowd. They are the truly awesome ones though. They ran 26.2 miles and raised over $12k for the Lukemia and Lymphoma foundation. The time and sacrafice they put into to training and fundraising raises them up a level in my book. Congratulations to all 6 of our Nestie runners. You guys are inspiring and amazing!!!

8 comments:

dapotato said...

<3 the intro.
<3 your goody bags.

wan said...

so much fun! and so inspiring ;)

you did such a great job on those bags, dude. thanks for letting me take part in the givin'.

Yahpee said...

You know what R?

I'm in awe of how blessed we are and how random that a resource like "The Nest" would allow me to meet and make phenomenal friends.

That's what you and all the ladies that came out to support are to me.. ridiculously phenomenal.

The amount of thought and detail that went into those "bags" was unbelievable and I know we've all told you before but every singe thing in that bag as absolutely necessary and was either gone or being put to use immediately.

Beyond that, it just meant so much.

You (and all the other nesties who came out to support) an angel in my book and just feel so blessed to be your friend.

So blessed, so blessed, so blessed.

weezermonkey said...

I really love reliving this over and over. It never gets old. :)

I'm stealing that subway pic!

That Girl said...

I'm so glad you put how long the marathon was distance wise. I've been looking EVERYWHERE trying to figure out how long the LA Marathon is. I wonder if its longer or shorter than the Boston one....I wish there was a way for me to find out!

Julie Q said...

you guys are such awesome friends for doing that!!! Only in Cali would you get grab bags for running in a marathon :)

amber said...

[dead at kate's comment]

[tearing up at aline]

[nodding head in agreement with the monkey]

awesome recap! i'm still impressed that you HAND CUT those skylines!

10yearstogether said...

I too am impressed at the handcut skyline! But I am even more impressed and wholeheartedly touched that you came out to support us and make the time to put together fabu goodie bags (I used my stuff right away, it was so on point). I agree with Aline, I am very grateful that the knot/nest has brought people like you into my life. Now hug me....... Syke!