The difference with this is that I will be running along with some really great women. Many of them are rookie runners like me. It will be an experience that I've never had before and cause me to push myself beyond my perceived limits. It is for a good cause too--the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation. It will definitely help with my weight loss goals and give me something to do that's new and different. Hey, let's not forget that the finishing medal is a Tiffany necklace. ;) Just keepin' it real. :)
I walked in with my clan and got hooked up with one of the salesman pretty quickly. He explained the process of how they map your feet, have you run on the treadmill, watch your foot patterns frame by frame, and then have you try on shoes. During the whole process I was asked questions about past injuries, what type of running I'm going to do, and a whole slew of other things. Here I am doing all the afore mentioned activities. I've got to be honest, it skeeved me out a little bit to do all this with no socks on. *shudder*
Those are my feet on the larger screens. I have almost no arch and put a lot of pressure on my heel. I "toe off" pretty normally from my big and second toe. Does any of this actually interest you?
I look pretty serious running on the treadmill, don't I? I wish I had known I'd be doing all that. I wouldn't have worn jeans.
Apparently my feet belong to two different people. The left one does something different than the right one and looked like two separate people running when we played back the video. The salesman basically told me that I had the weirdest feet he'd ever seen. Ha ha ha! Awesome. Leave it to me to try and run a half marathon with weird ass feet.
I picked out the pair of shoes that worked best for me after trying on the 4 different shoes available in "motion control". Yeah, the selection was limited and apparently I have an almost wide foot, but not quite. That narrows my choices even more. Whatever. I wound up with the Asics Gel Evolution 3. I actually like the look of them even though that wasn't the ultimate goal.

I also picked up a pair of running pants, a moisture wick top, and running socks. It's not much, but it's a start. I'll slowly build up my repertoire of running cloths as I start to go on longer runs.
So, my verdict on the whole thing? I had a little bit of sticker shock at the prices for running gear, but I think the experience was good overall. They were very thourough in their process and I learned something about running--so it's not a complete crock of shit. ;) They did tell me that I ran better in the more expensive shoes...yeah, I'll bet. I'm hoping it'll all pay off in the long run.
Now that I've got the proper shoes I have no excuses. I need to start training. I've got to get back in the gym and get on a program or I'm going to be pretty damned embarrassed come October. I'm probably going to be embarrassed anyway, but no sense in making it worse by not being ready. Suit up!
12 comments:
nice shoes! so high tech compared to the store i went to.
Whee that's so exciting seeing all of you getting ready for this marathon :) Good luck!
Intense fitting session!
So far I have got - new pants, and socks.
Once we find out for sure I'll get the shoes (I returned mine after they messed up me knee, so I'm still thinking Road Runner's is a crock), water belt, a nifty new shirt, and ipod holder thingy.
Go you!
I almost bought those shoes, which means that your feet are not alone in their alleged weirdness!
that's SO funny you mentioned a tiffany's necklace, b/c my hubs (boyfriend at the time) tried to bribe me with a Tiffany's necklace if i ran a 5K under 30 minutes. Unfortunately this story does not have a happy ending.. because 2 yrs later i finally mustered up the energy to run one, but it was in 34 minutes.
good for you with the half marathon. i get sleep just reading that! i think this body is only meant for 3.1 miles tops!!!
wow! makes me want to make the drive to road runner - quite a thorough shoe fitting indeed.
now that's something I've never heard of. I think the machine might be wrong.
Oh I'm looking for a walking partner for the halfie.
dude.. you look great on that tread! Hey did you guys find out if you made the cut yet? I entered the marathon also, but it was before they gave me the OC's name. I couldn't change my sign up once I did get it. So I may be there taggin' along behind the main group.
I'll be the lost LA Knottie
yay to having the weirdest feet. it's always great to be the most-est at SOMETHING ;)
I am pretty sure i will have a similar situation for my hobbit feets. going this weekend!
cute shoes! sounds like you're all set to become a runnin' fool ;)
Post a Comment