Thursday

Check Engine Part 2

Let's pick up where we left off, shall we?

Tuesday
--I woke up early so I could get to the dealership a little after they opened and still have time to take Lil' Man to school while being on time to work. We got there shortly after 7:30 a.m. and dropped off the car. The Enterprise representative was on site and got us into a rental pretty quickly. By 8:15 we were headed back out of the dealership parking lot. I dropped Lil' Man off at school a little early and went to work. Nice and smooth.

I got a call from the dealership around 12 or 1 and they told me that the problem was indeed the computer. They had the part in stock and replaced it already. Yay! It was all covered under factory warranty and I wouldn't have to pay for anything. Double yay! The rental was covered too. I would have to pay for the basic insurance and the gas, of course, but the rental fee was still going to be covered. Double and a half yay! I could pick up my car that day. Triple and a half yay!

I left work early to return the rental the same day and pick up my car. I had just enough time to take care of all that before going to job #2. I returned the rental, picked up my paperwork, and waited for my car to come around. It took a little while, but then I saw it roll up. I started to walk over to it and the attendant headed over to me just before I got there.

"Did they tell you that the car won't start?"

"Um...no. They didn't."

"Well, it won't. I think it might be the battery, but I don't know. You should go talk to that guy in there", and he pointed off to an office in the row of glass doors.

Awesome. I knew it was too easy. [This is the part where I have an Ally McBeal-esque fantasy of raising hell and the police needing to escort me out of the building for my own safety as well as the safety of others] Basically they had to put me into a new rental right then so I could get to work and pick up Lil' Man (because, of course, Hubbs had become really sick with some stomach virus Monday night and couldn't get out of bed still). I sped off in the Toyota Prius Hybrid and hoped that whatever was wrong now wouldn't be too serious. I wouldn't know until the next morning so I went about the rest of my day. What else could I do?

Wednesday--I got a call from the lady at the dealership pretty early in the morning. Like before 8. Thank goodness I was already up. She apologized about the night before and let me know that they'd take care of the rental. She'd get back to me later after they'd had a chance to see what was wrong with the car and we'd "take it from there". Ahh, now comes the dealership speak for "get ready, we're about to screw you".
On my way to the office I get a phone call from the same lady and she informs me that the battery failed the load. ??? Sounds dirty. "What does that mean?" I asked her. "That means the battery is bad" she replied. Deader than a door nail and won't hold a charge. Gah-rate. She then proceeds to tell me that there didn't appear to be anything that they did wrong (of course not) and that a new battery with some super duper warranty would cost $144 with parts and labor, but she'd knock off $20 to help out. You know, since it was weird how it happened while it was there and all. Gee, thanks.

Then she asked me if I'd like them to put in a new battery. Yeah, sure. What choice did I have? The car wouldn't start so it's not like I could take it anywhere else, right? They had me by the short and curlies. What could I do? At this point I just wanted it to be done already. I gave them the go ahead and she said she'd only call me if there were any problems. Oh lord please do not let my phone ring for more problems.

I left work early-again-and headed back to the dealership. Again. I returned the Prius...interesting car by the way...to the rep. This time I walked over to the cashier and had to fork over my bank card. After all that was done I waited for my car to come around. I waited. And waited. I checked my cell to see what time it was...getting nervous. The attendant walked over towards me and asked if he could see my paperwork. No way dude. Don't tell me something else is wrong. I handed it over and waited while he walked away with his walkie talkie.

He came back without a word and handed me the paperwork. Just as I looked up there was my silver beauty pulling out and heading towards me. Oh happy day! The car is running!! The guy pulled up and handed me the keys. I hesitated not knowing whether or not this was for real, but then I started my car and knew it was all good. I was mobile by my own means and I left the dealership only slightly scathed.

Today I didn't have to wake up early to go somewhere, I didn't have to leave work early to go somewhere, and I don't have to take Lil' Man with me to job #2. My car is finally fixed and back in my care. It's almost a week later, but it's done. :)

9 comments:

weezermonkey said...

"They had me by the short and curlies."
!!!
[deader than dead]

Nanette said...

Glad it worked out, despite the heartaches along the way!

Mrs. Case said...

I drive the exact same car, same color and everything. I had to put out $300 for tires this week. :(

dapotato said...

so glad your car probs are done. yeesh.

alyssa said...

Glad your silver beauty is back in your sweet care! What a mess!!!

Winnie said...

YAY!!!!!!!

Hmph, that whole battery thing sounds a little sketchy but well, at least the problem is fixed.

Yay :)

wan said...

i'm now curious as to your thoughts on that prius hybrid. we've always tossed the idea around, but can't seem to part with our current mobiles.

but yay for being done with it! and that it didn't cost $600+ after all!

Cee said...

thank goodness it was only $144 for this whole episode. I would've been crying already.

amber said...

"by the short and curlies"

my mom uses that expression sometimes. too freaking funny!

i'm glad the car is all better!