Monday

Another long night

First off, thanks for the messages and calls. I really appreciate all the concern and positive thoughts being sent in our direction. You are awesome.

Very scary. Hubbs and I were settling in for bed so we could catch some zzzs for tomorrow's work day. That is if we're able to get there. Anyway, we were winding down and talking when we started to smell something burning. Weird. We decided to get up and turn on the news to see what it might be...maybe the wind was carrying the smoke in our direction.

The phone starts ringing and as I run to answer it the news is reporting a big flare up 3 1/2 miles up the freeway from us. WTF? I thought we were OK. On the phone is my friend out near the exit of the freeway that has lit up. Her TV went out yesterday, her husband isn't home because he's stuck on the freeway, and she doesn't know what's going on. I stood by the TV so she could hear the report we were hearing. Hubbs got dressed to head over to the house with her and the kids to help if needed. Thankfully her husband got home just before Hubbs left so at least they're together.

Guess what peeps...the local news stops reporting at 12:00 a.m. No more information for us until 4:00 a.m. The last report showed that most of it was out so I'm really, really hoping it stays that way. There isn't really much we can do about things now except listen to the helicopters overhead and wait. We went outside to walk up the hill behind our place and see if it was close or getting closer. Thankfully we couldn't see anything but smoke. It was very smokey out. Our clothes and hair stink and my eyes burn a little.

We didn't get much sleep last night as you can imagine. Waking up every couple hours to check the status of things. Looks like I won't be able to sleep much tonight either. Our bags are re-packed and we're ready if needed. I don't think we'll need to worry about it, but how will we know?

This is all just so crazy. You're probably wondering why I'm even blogging right now. Well, what else am I going to do? It's too late to call anyone without freaking them out and it's a little cathartic for me to, at the very least, type about it. It kind of keeps my mind off what's going on outside a little...It seems to have quieted down a bit. I think I'm going to try sleep some now. "Talk" to you all later.

11 comments:

amber said...

glad to know that you guys are safe and i hope that things didn't flare up last night. hang in there and know we're all thinking good thoughts for you.

Karen S said...

These winds! I'm glad to hear that you guys have been safe. I hope it continues to stay away from you!

Kay said...

just stopping by from nanette site and i am glad to hear that you are okay =/ and lend any moral support via the blogoshpere

weezermonkey said...

So scary! Please do text if anything dire happens!

wan said...

you know i'm sending lots of "safe and happy" vibes your way. definitely text if you need me!

Winnie said...

Oh no! That's so scary. My thoughts are with you.

Unknown said...

holy sh*t, that's terrible! Hope you get a good nights sleep soon and stay safe. you'll be in my thoughts

Julie Q said...

whoops that last comment was from me (julie q) I was just on my hubby's laptop- thats why it says its from Augustus. But he hopes the fires stay away from your house too.

willikat said...

oh, sucky. i'm so sorry. i hope that you stay safe!

10yearstogether said...

3.5 miles is so close! R I'm glad you're OK, this is so devastatimg amd all we cam do is hope amd pray for the best amd for the safety of our meighbors, family amd friemds. You're im my good thoughts, stay safe my friemd.

Jen said...

I'm so glad you're ok. Hope you get some sleep tonight.