I have a friend who has been my friend since the 7th grade. We've been through some stuff together-family, first loves, kids, marriages, and divorce. I've been there for her and she has been there for me. She was in my wedding and has always been a part of my life. Lately we've both been really busy. She started back to school, has two kids, works nights, and is going through a divorce. Sort of. I've also been taking classes, working full time, dealing with my knuckle-headed kid, and trying to pursue different professional avenues while balancing some semblance of a home life. Needless to say our schedules haven't been meshing and we haven't hung out in a while.Sadly, my friend is emotional high maintenance. She has always been a sensitive person. She can be pretty needy and that tends to make it hard to devote enough time to her. Especially with so much going on. A phone call is not a 15 minute thing with her. It's an hour or so on average. Sometimes that is awesome, and sometimes it is not. She is an amazing, loyal friend who would do anything I needed and I would do the same for her. Apparently she feels like I have not been a good enough friend to her lately. I received a long, emotional e-mail this morning where she recounted all the ways that I've been lacking in our friendship over the last week or two.
It has come as a complete shock to me; really way out of left field. Any time in the past when either of us has been busy we've understood each other and we catch up when we can. She was always that friend you could talk to after a while and pick up where you left off. I'm generally attentive and don't miss things like this so I'm not sure where this is coming from. At the same time I guess it shouldn't surprise me. She's so emotional about things that I can see how this has quietly escalated. I think my
dear friend expects me to know her thoughts. I am some super friend in her mind and I should have known that I hurt her feelings. I didn't, and in my view of the situation she is over reacting very much. I'm sure it's probably a result of stress and other stuff she's dealing with.She is completely entitled to her feelings and I have acknowledged them. I'm trying to be "healthy" about it all while being sensitive. I hope she understands. I've apologized for my part in the situation and let her know my feelings on other issues she brought up. Hopefully that is enough. I don't know if I have the energy to be a super friend right now, but I'm doing the best I can.
15 comments:
Boooooooo!
That is all.
this just really irks me on your behalf. personally, i have zero tolerance for stuff like this. everybody is busy. everybody is stressed out. sometimes it takes some time to return an email or a phone call. i've actually lost several friendships because i wasn't okay with being reamed out when i wasn't there for the person 24/7. needless to say, my closest friends today are in tune with this and it's all good btwn us.
okay, ramble over. seriously though, with all you have going on i'm impressed that you're being as calm and thoughtful with this as you are. personally, i would be steaming. she does sound like a good friend though, so i hope you're able to work everything out. {{hugs}}
i think that it is she who is being the insensitive one to your feelings. you, too, have a lot going on right now and she should respect/support that.
but, please don't listen to me. i'm a terrible friend.
ugh, boo, i feel you.
i let one very needy friend go after she pulled something like the above on me twice. you definitely sound calmer than i was.
I agree with Amber, this isn't fair to you. Everyone is busy, everyone gets stressed about kids, work, life etc...she has to understand that. I know she may be completely needy at times, and there isn't much you can do to change that. I hope she knows that she is lucky to have a friend like you :)
i can be your un-needy e-friend!
boo to her. she probably just needs to blow some steam. I always like to take it out on my hubs when I'm stressed (poor him!!!)
Aww man. That sucks for you :( I'm impressed that you're so mature and calm about it though. Hope your friendship is repairable!
Dude...must be in the water on the east coast too. I got one of those last week.
Anyway, I found you through Nanners and have been reading for a while....as a single mom who just turned thirty, you give me hope at what could be!! Thanks!!
You know how I feel re this. I'm glad we got to talk at length tonight!
You have such a good attitude, R. You are doing all you can. Don't beat yourself up over this. <3
[unrelated topic]
I so love these corresponding pics you've chose to go along with this post.
OK... back to the post
You guys are both working moms, with hectic schedules. You shouldn't have to apologize for being busy you truly have no choice. I hope all works out and your friend was just having an unbearable, emotional day which brought on the email. I'm sure she'll be fine in a few days. Be strong (keep hope alive)
Sorry to hear about this friend situation. I'm sure you are doing all you can and she has to accept that. Good luck!
friendships can be tough. i'm glad to hear that you have mended fences though. she is probably just very stressed and has extra needs and you have less time. it's easy to take that personally, but she will realize it's her life and she's ok. :)
ugh, dude, this sucks. i'm super late, but just know that i think you're a super friend whether i get to talk to you once a week or once a month!
Post a Comment