Two separate phone calls. Both weird.1) I got a message from Child Support Services on my cell phone. Weird. They have never called me. I've always had to initiate contact every step of the way. This made me curious as to why they would need to call me. I called back and left a message for Ms. Mack to call me back. Then she did.
M: "Hi R. I'm Ms. Mack."
R: "Hi Ms. Mack. I got your message. What can I do for you?"
M: "Well, I wanted to ask if you knew whether or not SD was still in Las Vegas or if he's back here now?"
R: "What? I have no idea. I haven't spoken to him in at least 2 years and I haven't seen him for longer than that. I can't really help you."
M: "Oh. Okay. Well I just wanted to ask you that. Thank you."
R: "OK. Sure. Bye."
First off, I didn't even know he was in Las Vegas. Second, since when does the Child Support Services office call you for information on the Non Custodial Parent? Don't they have ways to track if he's working, garnish his wages, and have access to records I will never see? I thought it was kind of funny that they are supposed to find him for me but they called me for information. I don't even have a good working phone number for him. Weird, weird, weird.
2) Some of you already know about phone call number two yesterday. I called my doctor to schedule the Annual Visit. The nurse on the phone checks my record to make sure I'm due for the visit and finds a date to have me come in. Perfect. That was easy.
Before we hang up, there is one last question from the nurse, "Are you on birth control?"
R: "Yes, I am."
To me this sounded odd. Chemical birth control? Sounds a little scary. I know there are hormones in my BC, but chemicals makes me think of science experiments and giant, full bodied rubber suits. I hope I'm not ingesting anything like that. At the same time I start to feel a little bit of nervousness creep in. Not full blown panic, but I'm definitely skweamish.
So I asked, "What does that mean exactly?"
So I asked, "What does that mean exactly?"
Nurse: "It means the doctor is only going to be doing natural family planning from now on. We'll give you information and teach you how to chart your cycle so you'll know when you're ovulating and all that. Then you decide when to have sex based on your charting. She'll be doing everything else just not prescribing birth control anymore."
R: "That scares the shit out of me." I said it out loud before I knew I was going to. Truth is, that really does scare the shit out of me.
I can not fathom checking a chart to make sure it's "safe" to do the horizontal polka with my husband. No thanks. I want no restrictions on that part of my life. I also do not want to rely on a chart to decide my future. We have no plans to have any more children, as of now or probably ever, and it would be my luck that my body would do it's own thing and not follow a chart. I'd probably be pregnant within the first six months because life is cruel like that. Not prescribing BC anymore? That is weird.
Time to find a new doctor. Sucky thing is, I've been with this one for 12ish years. She was the doctor who gave my my pre-natal care for Lil' Man way back when. The nurses are cool, the nurse practitioner is great, and I've never been to anyone else for this kind of stuff. There's not much I can do, but what a weird thing to hear when you call your doctor. Wouldn't you agree?

9 comments:
weird and weirdest.
Yeah, both of those sound strange...
i told my CW (who is a doctor) about call #2 and she became livid! and said that it is becoming more and more common. totally ridiculous. i hope you have lots of luck in finding someone new.
call #1 is just bizzare-o. guess she thought you'd help her do her job? weird.
i told my CW (who is a doctor) about call #2 and she became livid! and said that it is becoming more and more common. totally ridiculous. i hope you have lots of luck in finding someone new.
call #1 is just bizzare-o. guess she thought you'd help her do her job? weird.
Both calls are c-r-a-z-y.
Boooooo.
I'll be the lone voice of dissent here - I think its incredibly smart of your doctor to stop with the chemical birth controls - there are more reasons why not to use them than use them.
yeah i'd be freaked out by that as well!! 2nd opinion sounds like it should be in order here..
i'm not cool with someone making any decision for me. not even a little bit.
Post a Comment