I'm going to tell you about some brownie beauties that I baked last week. What? You thought I was the baking beauty? Yeah, no. I do like to bake, but I am not going to go so far as to call myself a beauty. That's for others to decide.
I found this recipe in the Culinary Concotions by Peabody blog that I recently happened upon and really enjoy. It has pictures of awesome food and I'm a sucker for that. She also gives the recipe and directions for making the awesome items pictured. I've found that I really enjoy cooking so I'm trying to branch out and make new things. Anywho, I saw these Kahlua Brownies and I could not resist giving them a try.
I decided to make them to take to a friend's house last week where we were gathering to watch the UFC fight. I thought it'd be nice to bring a little dessert and try them out on folks. It was the first time I'd ever made brownies--from scratch or otherwise. I was a little nervous, but I thought I'd give it a try. Well, they came out no bueno. Eeek. I didn't pour enough batter in the pan and I probably cooked them too long. I was distracted. Someone referred to the batch in the first pan as brownie jerky. Nice. Thanks. I hid the pan so no one would eat them because I knew they were bad so serves you right for being nosy and eating them. :P
After that I had redeem myself and try again. I made a couple of adjustments and attempted to create an edible batch of brownies to take to a small gathering after work. The same people (minus the guys) would be in attendance so I could make sure my prior disastrous attempt would be erased from most memories. Here was my second, much more successful batch of Kahlua Brownies...

They were a smidgen too sweet for me so next time I think I'll use unsweetened cocoa. I used Ghirardelli Ground Sweet Cocoa powder this time. It was good (when isn't Ghirardelli?) but a tad too rich. Needless to say, no one called these brownie jerky. ;) I'm going to try out some of the other stuff she has posted because it looks too good not to, but I am trying to lose weight so I'll have to do that a little at a time.
I found this recipe in the Culinary Concotions by Peabody blog that I recently happened upon and really enjoy. It has pictures of awesome food and I'm a sucker for that. She also gives the recipe and directions for making the awesome items pictured. I've found that I really enjoy cooking so I'm trying to branch out and make new things. Anywho, I saw these Kahlua Brownies and I could not resist giving them a try.
I decided to make them to take to a friend's house last week where we were gathering to watch the UFC fight. I thought it'd be nice to bring a little dessert and try them out on folks. It was the first time I'd ever made brownies--from scratch or otherwise. I was a little nervous, but I thought I'd give it a try. Well, they came out no bueno. Eeek. I didn't pour enough batter in the pan and I probably cooked them too long. I was distracted. Someone referred to the batch in the first pan as brownie jerky. Nice. Thanks. I hid the pan so no one would eat them because I knew they were bad so serves you right for being nosy and eating them. :P
After that I had redeem myself and try again. I made a couple of adjustments and attempted to create an edible batch of brownies to take to a small gathering after work. The same people (minus the guys) would be in attendance so I could make sure my prior disastrous attempt would be erased from most memories. Here was my second, much more successful batch of Kahlua Brownies...
They were a smidgen too sweet for me so next time I think I'll use unsweetened cocoa. I used Ghirardelli Ground Sweet Cocoa powder this time. It was good (when isn't Ghirardelli?) but a tad too rich. Needless to say, no one called these brownie jerky. ;) I'm going to try out some of the other stuff she has posted because it looks too good not to, but I am trying to lose weight so I'll have to do that a little at a time.
7 comments:
You used sweetend cocoa. Traditionally when it says cocoa powder it means unsweetened. I bet those were sweet.
Way too sweet Pea, but with coffee it would have been OK. I'm a baking newbie so I didn't know which the recipe called for. Unsweetened from now on. ;)
Yeah, whenever you just see cocoa powder assume that they mean unsweetened...especially if you see a cup of sugar in the recipe. If you don't see any sugar in the recipe then you are going to want to use sweetened.
mmmm. these really look fabulous.
[still giggling @ "brownie jerky"]
is it wrong that i want to lick the screen?
I'm drooling...after the crummy day I had today, I would love to dive into a pan of these treats :) (who need wine when there's chocolate?)
[drool]
Post a Comment