3 years ago Hubbs and I had made plans to meet up for dinner. It was our first date and he has suggested we go to the Stinking Rose. I know, not really good first date food but whatever. I was excited because I'd always wanted to go there, but had not been up to that point. Of course, I was looking forward to meeting him in person too since up to then we'd only talked on the phone. Since I was a relationship cynic I had hoped that at least the food would be good. ;)Looking back, it was pretty ballsy of me to go to his apartment to meet before dinner. He could have been some kind of crazy person. In my defense I called a friend who lived close by and told him about my date, his name and pertinent info, and that if he hadn't heard from me by X time (changed with each check in) then he needed to call the cops and hustle ass over to his apartment. Luckily, none of that was necessary and I had the best date of my life. It was almost too good and I kept waiting for the bomb to drop. Remember...I was a hardcore cynic.
No bomb. We closed the restaurant down and then stayed up until almost 4:00 in the morning talking. He was a perfect gentleman and didn't try anything. He walked me to my car, gave me a hug, and called to make sure I'd made it home safely. I didn't know guys like this existed. I eventually considered myself lucky that he did and that he was head over heels for me. ;) It took me a little longer to warm up, but not long. We officially moved in together by the end of the year, after Lil' Man had met and approved of him of course. The rest is history.I'm sure you can see where my bittersweetness lies with September 11th. Both memorable events , but on opposite sides of the spectrum. I'll choose to focus more on the happy times that this date reflects in my life, but at the very least I will remember the not so pleasant in reverence.
8 comments:
The stinking rose is a GREAT place for dates! I know many that have gone there...hee.
Funny, but 9/11 brought me and the hubs closer together. We had gotten into a serious, almost relationship-breaker fight the night before, and he called me the next morning after the news had broke. Our fight somehow didn't matter anymore.
i just found your blog from another blog. i LOVE your blog title...my hubbs and i are all about breaking the "ball and chain" ideology about marriage! glad i found you...and i look forward to reading more of your posts!
Awwww, I'm glad to hear a positive story from such a tragic date.
Lovely post, my dear.
Awww, it always make me all 'gitty' when I remember mine and my hubby's first. Happy anni!
Ditto what Cee said.
what a great first date! i think he's a keeper ;)
i hear ya on this. our anniversary is the day before so it's hard having both of those events so close together.
Post a Comment