Sunday

Happy birthday to my Hubbs!

Yesterday was Hubbs' birthday. He is now a spritley 32 years old. Ha! I decided to try and do something different this year to celebrate. You can't go wrong with dinner, a movie, and some one on one time, but this time I thought I'd change it up a little. How about a picnic? Good food and good company--now that's a birthday celebration!

I started my searh for a good picnic spot a few weeks ago and enlisted the help of some of my gal pals. (Thanks ladies!) I checked around on-line and then finally decided on El Matador State Beach in Malibu. I wanted something semi-private with great scenery. I remember Hubbs telling me stories about when he used to ride his bike along PCH back before he met me and how much he enjoyed it. We both really like the beach and it seemed like there were plenty of options for scenery there.

I packed us a picnic with garlic and herb rotisserie chicken, ciabatta rolls (That's what the chick at the Corner Bakery said they were, but I don't think that's what I wound up getting), cheese & crackers, grapes, mixed fruit, and drinks. I also adapted a recipe for a cucumber dip I found online and a sun dried tomato pesto spread. Yum. Everything tasted good and Hubbs said he was really happy with it all. He was surprised that I went through so much trouble and was really happy with his birthday celebration.

Here are my pictures from us at home, on the drive there, our picnic, and our view:



During our meal a little field mouse popped out of the bush in front of us and made it's way towards our table. We eventually decided to share our picnic and tossed some food out in front of the bush. It jetted out and back a couple times and took off over the rocks. I tried to take several pictures but kept scaring it away with the pre-flash. Then I got smart and covered the pre-flash and snapped one just in time before we left.

Holy crap! That was not the cute little field mouse we saw earlier. That's a big ass mouse. Or rat. I'm not an animal expert, but that was bigger than the little thing we saw earlier.


We had such a nice time last night. It was romantic and we had some nice alone time. Happy birthday Hubbs. I love you.

P.S. Today is our anniversary of when we met and started this whole crazy thing. Time flies when you're having fun. :)

14 comments:

Nanette said...

Awww, that picnic looks amazing, even with that crazy rat! You're a fabulous wife, and together you two are a fabulous couple!

weezermonkey said...

So cute! (The picnic, not the rodent.)

Jen said...

Sounds like the picnic was a big success!

dapotato said...

ahh! that critter has evil eyes.

it looks like the picnic turned out beautifully. you even packed a candle! such a thoughtful wife. happy birthday to your hubs. :)

Winnie said...

The picnic looks fantastic! Glad to hear that he enjoyed it :)

By the way you look fantastic in that picture! Props to your workout effort!

California Girl said...

What great pictures! I'm so happy it turned out so well :)

Cee said...

You are definitely a supastar wifey to plan a picnic for him.

I'm going to have to bookmark this for later when I want to do something nice for the hubs.

Scary giant rat.

Cee said...

oh and yes, those look like cibatta rolls. Yum!

alyssa said...

What a great picnic you planned! Hope your hubby had a great birthday!! Virgos are the best ;

joe said...

damn, that food looks good! how'd you do that? how much would i have to pay to get you to prepare that for me??

i'm totally ripping this!

... said...

this sounds so wonderful. Hub's is lucky to have such a great wife-y.

Christine Farah Photography said...

Awwww Happy Belated Birthday to the Hubs and Anniversary of Meeting!! :) You really outdid yourself everything looks awesome except for that GIANT rat.....EW!

wan said...

happy birthday to the hubbs! what a nice job you did with that picnic :)

amber said...

yay! happy b-day to the hubs :) what a fabulous picnic you put together!