Thursday

Dress dilemma

Speedy McBridey has struck again. Last week she took a trip to Nevada to check out some sites for her upcoming wedding. In a matter of 3 or 4 days she chose and booked the site (changed from the previous site), decided on flowers, tasted and chose the cake, chose her dress, and decided on her wedding colors. She was previously not sure, but has that locked down now. A date has also been set for the bridal shower/bachelorette combo day and she has moved the wedding date up to April in stead of late June. Prior to that she'd already decided on her invitations, favors, and place cards. Amazing, right? This girl has got my head spinning.

She has also decided on which dress her bridesmaids will wear.



We'll be in all black and I *believe* the flowers are going to be bright pink. I'm not completely sure about that one.

Here's my dilemma...we (as in the bridesmaids) are going to try on and purchase the dresses next Sunday. That's 31 weeks before the wedding which is good because we'll have them early, but bad because I still plan on losing more weight. If all goes well I'll drop at least 2 sizes between now and next April. So what's a girl to do? Should I buy the dress in my size now, go down one size when ordering (to be safe), or ask the bride if I can wait until January-ish to buy it and go with whatever size I am then?

I'd like to stay away from needing big time alterations on a dress I will probably never wear again so my instinct is to wait. I haven't talked to the bride yet, but I don't want to be a pain in the ass and give her any stress. No one wants a bridesmaid who isn't following "the plan". Chances are I'm going to buy the dress next Sunday and have to decide what size to order. What would you do?

8 comments:

Winnie said...

Ha, you're gonna be that one troublesome bridesmaid! Just kidding :) Maybe you can order it one size smaller than what you wear now as a compromise if the bride doesn't want you to wait?

dapotato said...

you're *that* BM! i keed. ditto winnie. at the rate you're going, 1 size seems totally doable as a compromise.

weezermonkey said...

WTF? Why is she making you buy dresses now? That's stupid. Can I tell her that?

So as not to appear to be a "rogue bridesmaid," go shopping, choose your style, and then order when you're closer to your goal weight.

Ordering now is dumb. You should c&p this for her.

Nanette said...

The only problem with waiting to order closer to the wedding is that the manufacturer may discontinue the style or color before you order yours. That happened to a friend of mine and luckily I had ordered mine when she told us to. Others hadn't and they had to do a mad scramble to locate dresses.

I think ordering a size smaller is a good compromise, as others suggested.

California Girl said...

My sister's friend was the same way in planning her wedding. Literally, the whole damn thing was planned 3 weeks after she was proposed to.

People are strange. Follow your gut and wait. I just hope those dresses will still be available in a few months.

... said...

Now you know never to try and change a bride's mind. If she's set on getting those dresses.....Hmmm, I wander what my pal R would do if someone asked her the same?

wan said...

i think this dress is cute :)

nanette's right though. designers often discontinue colors and styles and with this much time between now and the wedding...

i'd order it now and go with your current size. but that's if it were me - i just don't trust myself to actually drop the two sizes. ya know?

Cee said...

I would order your current size. Dapotato and I could probably give you some references to a good seamstress to take it in if you go down a size.