Wednesday

What to wear

I have two weddings coming up and I'm not sure what the hell to wear to them. This may be the only thing that makes me cringe when I receive a wedding invitation in the mail. Don't get me wrong. I love weddings. I just hate the way I look in most clothes. Especially dresses.

I was a tomboy growing up and got into the girlie dress thing waaaaay late compared to other girls in school. I only wore a dress to 6th grade culmination because I had to. In fact I can probably count on both hands the number of dresses I've worn in my 31 years of life. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the picture. I have a total of 6 dresses in my closet right now--3 of them are black, one is purple, one is a bridesmaid's dress, and the last is my wedding dress. I'm in trouble.

My dillema has caused me a bit of stress these last couple days. Nothing too outrageous, but I wanted to exert a certain level of effort this time around. I scrambled around on-line to find something I thought might compliment my shape. Score! I found a cute little dress that could be worn to other functions either dressed down or dressed up. A cute pair of chocolate brown peep toe shoes to compliment the ensemble and I'd be set. Should be easy enough. Not.


I finally got the dress yesterday and it's too big. I thought I might be able to get away with it, but Hubbs said that it made me look 20 lbs. heavier than I am. That idea is officially out. There's not enough time to send it back for the first wedding this Saturday so maybe I'll have it in time for the one in 3 weeks. Well, then there's the problem of finding chocolate brown peep toe shoes. Apparently I'll have better luck locating Osama right now. Geez. It's not in the cards. Gonna have to return that baby and write off the shipping as a loss.



There was another dress that I spied while going through the dress racks at Macy's and it was the right size. I liked it AND already had shoes at home to match. Why oh why didn't I buy it right then? I decided to wait and see how the brown and pink one fit before I shelled out more money--tried to be responsible--and when I decided to go back and get it the next day it was gone. Great. Thanks universe. Now I will never get that dress out of my head and I'll believe it would have been perfect for all time even though I'll never really know if it fit or looked good on me.

I'll probably wind up wearing one of my black dresses on hand even though I had hoped to step out of that box. I guess since no one at this wedding has seen the dress it'll be new to them, but I was really trying to be a girl this time. Oh well, I tried. We'll see what happens for the next wedding, but I'm not looking forward to starting the search all over again.

2 comments:

wan said...

oh, hell. i still have yet to try on the only dress i've got to wear saturday - and if it doesn't fit, i'm screwed.

wan said...

yeah, i tried it on and the hub had to zip it up for me.

and when that was done, he looked sideways at me and said "uh....you're gonna bust that thing open when you sit down."

needless to say, i went shopping today.