Say what you want about Barry Bonds, but you can't deny that the man's got talent. He now holds the all time home run record in the entire history of baseball. He's been playing major league baseball since 1986 and holds many different awards and accolades for his stellar performance over the years. When he played in college he was a noteworthy presence as well. The man's got talent. That can't all be from steroids.Personally, I don't care about the steroid thing because it wasn't tested for as a practice in the game of baseball during the time he's been speculated to have taken the substances. To me, that's a problem with the Powers That Be in the sport who turned a blind eye to these things. I'm guessing it's easier to make money, improve the sport's saleability, and pretend you don't know anything. I think the fact that he's not personable makes Bonds a bigger target than he may have been if he was amicable and played by everyone else's rules. Realistically, I just don't much care either way what happened. This is a matter than can be debated, with good points to either side of the argument, for hours and hours.
*photo courtesy of http://www.product-reviews.net/*
I'm not a fan of any one team really, but I admire the athletic abilities of different players and I have to admire the new record that has been set. Hubbs and I were watching the game at home in our living room when it happened. You could almost feel the solid hit that sent the ball sailing in to right center field. Holy hell! Now that's a beautiful home run! I loved watching how gracious he was with his speech afterward, the emotional moment thanking his father, and the classy, congratulatory video speech that Hank Aaron delivered. It was very well done. All in all, I'm really happy to have been able to watch that moment in history.I'll leave you with a quote from Andruw Jones after Bonds hit number 755 that Hubbs shared with me. I found it to be an interesting point of view.
"It doesn't matter," the Atlanta Braves star said Sunday. "There's a lot of people that take steroids, and they don't hit 755 home runs."
3 comments:
w00t!! I said as much today on the OC Knot, but the girls there are f'ing stupid, so they didn't get it. I was a Giants fan as a kid, but don't really watch baseball anymore. Nevertheless, I find his achievements remarkable. McGwire, Canseco, Palmeiro, and Sosa are some notable 'roid freaks and not one of them approached 700+ homers.
Bonds is just not my favorite player and the steroid thing still irks me to no end, though not just with him, but with all the players. I will say that Hank Aaron came out looking like a superstar though after all of this. What a classy guy he is... such a contrast to Mr. Bonds.
oh, R. :(
I still love you, though.
Post a Comment