Wednesday

The kid is a car payment

The monthly expenses we pay for Lil' Man come out to be a pretty decent car payment. Today I picked him up from his daycare and was given the forms needed for the after school transportation program. (P.S. the prices are going up for next year. Really?? Greeeeaaaaatttt.) It got me to thinking about the money we pay out for him to be there while I'm slaving away at the salt mines. And then I started thinking about all the other stuff we pay for.

$200 per month for transportation...dude, it's only a six mile drive round trip. Does it really cost that much to go get him and come back 5 days a week? I don't think so. That's just the start of it all people. Throw in food, clothes, shoes, sports programs, books (he's a bookworm), birthday parties, gifts for other kids' birthday parties...the list goes on and on.

How on Earth did I do it when I was a single mother? I don't know. You do what you have to and, in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work" I guess.

I was on the phone with a friend of mine who is planning to start "trying" this coming December. When she heard me talking to the girl about the increase she asked me about it. I gave her a quick rundown of some of the bigger expenses we have with Lil' Man. In actuality it's relatively inexpensive compared to others I'd priced. She was surprised. She muttered something about needing to think about that a little more. I agreed. Most days they are totally worth it, but you need to be absolutely sure you want to sign up for that gig.

Glad I could be of service. I guess my good deed was done for the day. I helped another potential mother consider the ancillary costs of having a child outside of just diapers and formula. Because, yes, there is sooo much more to having a kid...

4 comments:

amber said...

one of the many reasons why we are waiting. :-p

weezermonkey said...

For now, the Monkeys opt for iPhones, country club membership, eating out a lot, constant sporting event and concert outings, and fancy shoes and handbags over children. ;)

I've always been impressed by your juggling. I lack the maturity, patience, and selflessness at this point.

Trisha said...

$200 a month?! Hell, for that much, you could buy yourself a Scion, Kia, Saturn, etc. and teach Lil' Man how to drive a couple years early :)

wan said...

you know i can relate. but hey - you got off easy. with a girl, you get to throw in girly toiletries, feminine products, the "right" clothes, hairstyling appointments...etc., etc., etc.

heh. and i've got a 2nd girl on the way! hell, it makes me wonder how i managed when i was single mom-ing it, too. sheesh.